Mast sleeve needed?

JHS01

I have a 2002 Sunfish and I have read about the mast reinforcing being done.

My question is what years is the sleeve kit needed?

I understand Vanguard has fixed the problem- when did this start?

I have a 2000 and wonder about my mast too.

Where did you hear about Vanguard fixing the problem?

I found where it says they are applying the band-aid to the new boats. I was hoping to find they had moved to a higher quality standard.

Couldn't find the exact time they did it but what happened was the consolidated the tubing for Laser and Sunfish to lower manufacturing costs and inventory. This meant the Sunfish tubing got a thinner section and started showing up problems. Thus the reinforcing sleeve for the Sunfish.

JHS01 said:
I have a 2002 Sunfish and I have read about the mast reinforcing being done.

My question is what years is the sleeve kit needed?

I understand Vanguard has fixed the problem- when did this start?

Since we don't seem to know (up to this point in time) when the mast sleeve became 'standard' on new boats, I suggest you call Vanguard. Or send a message from their website.
Once you know, please post a message so that there will be a record on this forum.

All,

Check the post titled "Cross Post" by Wayne over at Sunfish Sailor (Yahoo). He has a "complete" (with available information) discussion on the subject.

The change occurred in 1993. Windy country sailors have been having problems ever since. The sleeves applied in windy countries are now causing masts that bend just above the sleeve. This is NOT the absolute solution. It remains an open issue, one that needs resolution and resolution now, and likely the best resolution is to return to the original stock spec that served the Sunfish sailboat so well for over 30 years.

Americans who sail primarily in 0-25 knot breezes will likely not have the mast bending problems, but the sleeve would be recommended for any mast purchased 1993 or since. Sadly, users get to purchase and install the sleeve. The Class understands this is a major point of concern and work is progressing on the issue.

Yes very slowly.... I bent my mast in 18-20knots on my 2004 sunfish and still under warranty I might add. I'm still waiting for my warranty mast 5 months later!!!!

sfox said:
Yes very slowly.... I bent my mast in 18-20knots on my 2004 sunfish and still under warranty I might add. I'm still waiting for my warranty mast 5 months later!!!!

Your 2004 sunfish didn't have the sleeve right?? Or did it bend with the sleeve?

No it didn't have a sleeve. It was made without one. The dealer I bought it from is talking with Vanguard and they want the dealer to saw off the bottom section and send it to them so they can anylize the material to see if its the weaker aluminum. If they have been making the masts since 1993 as posted above, I don't know what the delay is. I bent it in March just before the Mid winter's. Ive been borrowing a mast ever since. Which has been sleeved.

Foam-Madness...

If I had one of those thin-walled masts, I'd try reinforcing it from the inside—with that foam-in-a-can stuff?

It does exert a of pressure, though—it's possible that it could stretch the aluminum to where it won't fit back in the mast step. :(

Maybe try it on a broken thin-wall mast section first? :confused:

Come to think of it, maybe a subscription to The Vinyard Times is in order! :)

How well do the new sleeves work?? Ive heard that even with the sleeve they can bend in 20-25 mph of wind. Is that true?

I just found out that Vanguard is not going to warranty my mast. It appears that the mast was manufactured in 2000 and my boat is an 04'???? That would mean that the dealer gave me a 4 year old mast with a brand new boat. The mast was brand new so I didn't question the manufacture date nor did I have any way of knowing. So Vanguard says that mast is well out of the warranty period. ( Can anyone agree that I got screwed )

Most warranty periods begin with date of purchase, not manufacture date. Have you spoken with your dealer about this? Maybe he can intervene on your behalf, and convince Vanguard to do the right thing.

Well Ive talked to the dealer and Vanguard and they have agreed that I was in the right and had been sold a mast although new and unused, that was older than my boat. And that it was not my fault so they are going to warranty it after all.

Back