Mast seems extremely loose in mast step

Sailfish87

I just acquired this laser and did a water test and after 10 minutes I did not notice any water drop. The radial mast seems extremely loose its a 2005.

Thoughts?

Measure the gap. There should be not more than some 15 mm of play in the fore-and-aft direction, and about 5 mm sideways. The exact tolerances are (as stated by Performance Sailcraft Australia, via forum member b12 :) ):

Lower section diameter is dependent upon the rig as follows:
  • Lower section 7 (Std) & 4 (4.7) diameter:
    • Min OD – 62.9 mm
    • Max OD – 64.5 mm
  • Lower section 6 (Radial) diameter:
    • Min OD 60.26mm
    • Mx OD 61.46 mm
The upper mast step measurements are / should be as follows:
  • Length – 74.5 mm (acceptable range 72.8mm to 75.5mm)
  • Width – 65.5 mm (acceptable range 64.3 mm to 67 mm)
The lower/step end mast post diameter is 65.5mm (with a range 63.5 mm to 66 mm).

If your mast step (or the spar itself) exceeds any of these, then you have a true problem. It looks like there is some wear at the aft port edge of your step at the deck; you should repair that anyway to restore the original shape of the opening.

Also, before going sailing, to prevent further erosion of the mast (and the step) it would be good to apply something like this.

_

So I was donated this boat and its got a few issues. I just want to have some fun in the bay and do not intend to race or anything . With that said are these safety issues and can they be repaired with a simple gelcoat application? The Deck is soft where you would sit i pulled the rear plug and did not see any water coming out after sitting outside with a cover. The hull also seems a little soft but I checked a few other older boats at the club they say seem fairly soft as well. What do you guys think?

IMG_4303 Large.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4304 Large.jpeg
    IMG_4304 Large.jpeg
    173.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_4305 Large.jpeg
    IMG_4305 Large.jpeg
    342.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4306 Large.jpeg
    IMG_4306 Large.jpeg
    138.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4308.jpeg
    IMG_4308.jpeg
    640.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4313.jpeg
    IMG_4313.jpeg
    643.1 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Some more photos

Attachments

• IMG_4314 Large.jpeg
    IMG_4314 Large.jpeg
    305.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_4315 Large.jpeg
    IMG_4315 Large.jpeg
    265.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_4317 Large.jpeg
    IMG_4317 Large.jpeg
    320.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_4318 Large.jpeg
    IMG_4318 Large.jpeg
    258.5 KB · Views: 35
On my relatively new Laser hull, that distance across the mast tube is 65 mm; on your hull it's 69 mm (~2 mm more than the spec quoted earlier by LaLi). I guess that will put more stress on the bottom of the tube. What matters more is the 'solidness' of the mast step.

All the other blemishes can be fixed if you want a beauty. The softness of the hull shouldn't matter for pleasure sailing.

Just my opinion of course, I am not the 'fixit' type...

On my relatively new Laser hull, that distance across the mast tube is 65 mm; on your hull it's 69 mm (~2 mm more than the spec quoted earlier by LaLi). I guess that will put more stress on the bottom of the tube. What matters more is the 'solidness' of the mast step.

All the other blemishes can be fixed if you want a beauty. The softness of the hull shouldn't matter for pleasure sailing.

Just my opinion of course, I am not the 'fixit' type...

So my goal here is to just make it good enough so that it doesn’t get worse or cause any major issues. I may sail alone from time to time. My expertise ends with simple gel coat repair.

I have yet to take it out.

Back