Mast Retention Line

nesdog

Somewhere I thought I read that the new downhaul system is not sufficient to put downward pressure on the mast, preventing it from coming out of the step in a fierce capsize. It seems like there would be enough force. Can someone enlighten me on this? What is the best solution? Do I just wrap a line near the mast base and then lead it back under the hoop of the deckmounted fairlead?

Thanks...

It is a requirement to have a separate mast retaining line - you can be DSQ from official events for not having this.

I just have a piece of rope that goes from deck plate to boom fitting. Other people tie it round the kicker fitting.

The cunningham is not enough to hold a inverted boats rig in, even the old lines couldn't cope. Having seen a rig fall out this way on the water its one rule I've never quibbled over. It usually only happens on windy days and putting the rig back in on the water is no easy task!

I just have a short bit of line, bowline to deck place at one end (always left attached) and bowline loop at the other end and just put the "other end" over the kicker tang on the mast before attaching the kicker (seconds).

The centreboard shock cord then runs through the bowline loop attached to the decks plate on its way to the bow.

Dead easy, difficult to forget (e.g. you always go to threads the centreboard shock cord and this acts as a last minute reminder).

Ian

As Sailorchick said, it's mandatory when ever you are racing your laser to have a mast retaining line (it must also be capable of retaining the mast). It does not matter if you have the old control line systems or the new ones as they are insufficient in preventing the mast from falling out.

I use a loop formed out of shockcord between both eyelets of the deck fairlead that also runs over the vang tang fitting on the mast.

Attachments

• PICT0008.jpg
    PICT0008.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 196
Hi Alan, whilst we're on the subject of mast retaining lines can you clarify if my set up is legal. The UK measurer has posted on his website that it is not but I've been using it for years (system advised by a coach) and it passed measurement at the Europeans in 2004, admittedly some time ago now and things do change.

My line goes from deck plate to round boom fitting. At the base I also have a small loop tied into the line for the daggerboard elastic to go through. This loop is what the UK measurer deems illegal. I was under the impression you could not use an additional line to restrain the daggerboard elastic but that the mast retainer could be used to do this, whether this is adding a loop like mine or another method.

Would be nice to know for definite, thanks.

Attachments

• SS100643.jpg
    SS100643.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 190
  • SS100645.jpg
    SS100645.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 170
Hi Alan, whilst we're on the subject of mast retaining lines can you clarify if my set up is legal. The UK measurer has posted on his website that it is not but I've been using it for years (system advised by a coach) and it passed measurement at the Europeans in 2004, admittedly some time ago now and things do change.

My line goes from deck plate to round boom fitting. At the base I also have a small loop tied into the line for the daggerboard elastic to go through. This loop is what the UK measurer deems illegal. I was under the impression you could not use an additional line to restrain the daggerboard elastic but that the mast retainer could be used to do this, whether this is adding a loop like mine or another method.

Would be nice to know for definite, thanks.

I am no measurer but, from the US Rigging Guide I downloaded from Vangard a year or two ago "Tip: For the Laser Pro model versions it is recommended that you lead both ends of the daggerboard retainer to one side of the mast and hook the brummels around the bow handle. To keep the daggerboard retainer out of the way of the other lines on the deck it is suggested to tie the mast tie in around the daggerboard retainer (Figure 73)."

Ian

Hi Sailorchick, I haven't seen this presented to me before, my gut call would be to pass it if it was presented, but I'd contact Jean-Luc for confirmation. The fundamental rule does not cover this IMO.

Can I suggest obtaining a better image of the what your doing and sending it through to Jean-Luc for a ruling. I'll PM you my and Jean-Luc email address as I'm also interested.

Thanks...some good ideas there. Geez, whatever happened to the quick 5 minute set up! I'll figure to use whatever the fastest, easiest method is.

Appreciate the replies. So much stuff has changed since my first Laser that I sold in '84.

Thanks...some good ideas there. Geez, whatever happened to the quick 5 minute set up! I'll figure to use whatever the fastest, easiest method is.

Appreciate the replies. So much stuff has changed since my first Laser that I sold in '84.

When I first got my XD rigging used to take a lot longer than the old style Laser. However, now I'm more used to it it gets very quick. I do have "fastpins" on the top and bottom of the vang mast block (i.e. to attach it to the mast and to attach the cunningham to the kicker block which is much faster that split rings). But the main rigging speed improvement came from getting used to it.

I actually find packing up takes longer as the boat needs washing off (I sail in salt water) and I don't like leaving water in the mast step so that needs sponging out, then sponge off to help dry the hull, etc. - but it muh much quicker than other boats I have experience of.

Ian

Back