Mast retaining line

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by Radial 171107, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Radial 171107

Radial 171107 New Member

I need some advice on a mast retaining line, as my boat isnt legal at the moment without it. Any system will do, i did search 'Mast retainer' but the thumbnails wouldnt display, so please post your pics if you have any. I dont care if the system isnt the best, as long as it works, because apparently the cunningham isnt as good at retaining with the new turbo/pro kit.

Thanks in advance!;)

2. dubaisailer186065

dubaisailer186065 Member

all you need is a piece of string around the kicker joint with the mast and then tie it to the deck pulleys.

3. loco

loco New Member

shock cords good because the pulley mounting plate dosen't get bent

4. 49208

49208 Tentmaker

5. WestCoast

WestCoast New Member

most of the info is above, but I just wanted to say, that pic of a laser crashing is awesome.

6. sailor327

sailor327 New Member

im not sure that the shock cord would be a good way to keep the mast in the boat. I suggest just using a cheap peice of line that you find laying around in your club work room and running it through the deckplate ring and up and around the mast and tying it above the vang tang. just make sure your mast doesnt rotate to much

7. jimmy

jimmy New Member

It is important to make sure the line does not fall into the mast tub. If it does you run the risk of damaging the inside of the mast tube. With this in mind keep the tails on your knots short. This is why I use shock cord. The shock cord has enough stretch to keep the retainer clear of the tube and still allow the mast to pivot.

Jimmy

8. brlaser

brlaser New Member

Thanks to George at WestCoast, received my parts, put them on this afternoon. Lets take a vote : All in favor of brlaser going out tomorrow ??? Weather now in Baton Rouge 51. No wind, But a cold Canadian low is expected to be here early in the am. Usually with some wind. Let's here it all in favor :

9. brlaser

brlaser New Member

:cool: Thanks to George at WestCoast, received my parts, put them on this afternoon. Lets take a vote : All in favor of brlaser going out tomorrow ??? Weather now in Baton Rouge 51. No wind, But a cold Canadian low is expected to be here early in the am. Usually with some wind. Let's here it all in favor :

10. Radial 171107

Radial 171107 New Member

Thanks for the responses all, and yeah i think the pics pretty nice too eh west coast?;) :D