mast float on C-14.2

Discussion in 'Capri/Catalina 14 Talk' started by connex, May 13, 2009.

1. connex

connex New Member

has anyone tried a hobie mast float on their boat?

2. FIBI

FIBI New Member

mast float

I have used a hobie baby bob float for the last 2 seasons. It works well. Each season I have intentionally brought the boat over to test my recovery skills and see how the float works. I can say it works fine, no going turtle. I sail alone most of the time so it is a little insurance policy. Also I get a lot of questions about that large "antenna" on the top of my mast, it has turned out to be a good conversation starter.

You need to fabricate an adapter to make it fit the 14.2 mast, as I did last year, this year I bought an adapter from a fellow 14.2 forum user ( Screen name JGM). :)It works well.

Do an archive search under Baby bob or Mast float and you should be able to see some past posts on the subject.

3. gregwcoats

gregwcoats Member

I installed a "Baby Bob" at my masthead, I hope to never "find out if it works", but it at least gives me the assurance that if I push the envelope to much, I won't end up in real serious trouble.

4. connex

connex New Member

thanks for the advice!

i have ordered a baby bob, seems like good insurance!

5. gregwcoats

gregwcoats Member

If you need help installing it, let me know. I can email you pictures of what I did. gregcoats1@yahoo.com

6. c14_Scott

c14_Scott New Member

Here's a decent view of how I attached mine using aluminum strap & stainless steel hardware:

[​IMG]

7. JGM

JGM Member

We have one on our C-14 and it certainly lets us sail with a lot more confidence. We had a bad turtling incident a couple years ago, and the "Bob" seems like a pretty good solution. Here's a LINK to the full story and some pictures of the mounting brackets I made. Hope you find it helpful.

Jim

8. connex

connex New Member

thanks jgm!

i tried the 'bob' out this weekend at the boat ramp before sailing - it seems to work fine! i had a good time sailing and was more confident.

9. JGM

JGM Member

Well, that's the thing. For those who are natural born sailors and never capsize, a Baby Bob is a nuisance and mostly unnecessary. Otherwise, for those of us who muddle through, it's pretty good insurance against getting in over our heads. ;)

Jim