Mast corrosion

antoinegrech1

Hi, need some advice on mast maintenance!
When I bought the boat, the lower mast had some deep dark scratches. After sailing the boat for some months, I garaged the boat. And after some weeks, these scratches got covered in salt like substance, only that it doesn't taste like salt! What is this? and how can i prevent it? any info on mast maintenance is appreciated.

Thanks!

I would head down to your local Poison Control if you tasted something off of a mast that is thought to come from corrosion, and you have no idea what it is

True Ross, he may have mastitis by now. :eek:

It's called corrosion, it will be some sort of Aluminium Oxide. Supposedly it stops/slows down corrosion as long as you don't keep removing it. But realistically, your mast has the alloy version of rust. If it isn't already a hole, you could clean the area up and paint the scratch with a suitable product of which I couldn't say - ask at a rigging shop near you. Usually the annodising does that job - till you scratch it.

Infact you could scrape up all the Oxide crystals and mix it with butter or some such and spread it under your arms. Many underarm deoderants have aluminium in them. You'll be the talk of the town!

By jove I think he's got it! Use the by-products of using your Laser, to make yourself more presentable at the social gathering after the sailing. Brilliant!

Back