mast cleat and boom block

river_rat

Hello: I am planning to put a mast cleat on my sunfish mast. Just wondering if anybody has any recommendations as to what type and size mast cleat works best. Also, how far from the bottom of the mast is best for mounting? I am tired of trying to pull the deck off the boat every time I go sailing. I am also thinking about moving the forward block forward on the boom for a better mainsheet angle off the main block. Any racers' comments on this would be most welcome. Thanks.

Any type of horned cleat works well. I personally use the repair kit for Hobie 16 halyard cleats. It comes with the carbon cleat, hungmungus pop rivets and rivet cups to water proof them.
As for the location the rules give a maximum height off the deck. I usually rig in the water with the boat moored so I positioned it for easy handling at the depth of water my mooring has.
I went to the cleats mainly because of the fact that mast rotation when tacking stretches the halyard so it "droops" and my front decks were getting the famous half moon scar as the rig lowered from the stretch halyard and it was a REAL pain to try and retighten it on the water when sailing.
An unexpected benifit was it made it a lot easier to tie a vang as well.

I had good success with "clam" cleets (sold by APS & others) on the mast. Use the black, hard annodized one. They dont snag on anything.
I attached with stainless steel screws AND the 3m adhesive / sealant thats more adhesive than sealant(I forgot the #. 606?), and it never budged in two years of some very hard use.

I just got PM'd on this subject so I copied my message to this post.....

I have done this at least 5 times. It is a piece of cake to drill and tap. I highly recommend getting the halyard cleat package from APS. It comes with stainless fasteners and the cleat is the right size.

MAKE sure you mount the cleat at the height you like and within the rule limit from the bottom. I think I was around 34" or so. Also...very important, mount the cleat along the line of the halyard. Look at the hole in the cap on top of the mast that the halyard goes through. The halyard should come straight down to the cleat from the mast top cap. The cleat gets mounted up and down, not side to side.

Take the cleat and orient it on the mast, make a mark for the first hole. Drill a pilot hole that is one drill size smaller than the fastener. The bolt will have a beveled tip on the end. Use the bolt to tap into the aluminum...it is really soft. Press firmly on a screwdriver and turn the bolt slowly into the pilot hole. It wil thread itself in. Now back it off and remove the bolt. Put the cleat back on and put the bolt in and thread it in a little to hold the cleat. Drill the second hole through the hole inthe cleat (for a guide). Now remove the cleat, thread the second hole and you are almost done. Put some threadlock in the hole and mount the cleat. There is no need to go completely crazy with torque on the bolt. If you are too hard you may strip the soft aluminum threads. Just good and firm will do. That's it. Easy as pie.

I use horn cleats. I do not trust clam cleats for this application. I have seen them on other boats though and haven't heard of problems.

Now...in payment for this free advice, all who read this must come to Erie for the 2008 NA's.

The hole at the top of the mast is for the Halyard and the halyard goes from the side of the boat thought the hole down to the upper spar, so you line the cleat up with the hole.
Since I mount mine wih them laying down I just make sure I can see through the hole so I know I'm lined up with it.

If one has an old style mast, with the eye and block, would you mount the cleat 180 degrees from the block ( block on port, cleat on starboard) or try for 90 degrees (block towards bow and cleat on starboard)?

If one has an old style mast, with the eye and block, would you mount the cleat 180 degrees from the block ( block on port, cleat on starboard) or try for 90 degrees (block towards bow and cleat on starboard)?

First of all, who still has one of those masts, and second of all, why on earth would you be thinking of these crazy ideas? Put the cleat below the block!!

BB:confused:

Blame the winter, a long, cold winter for "crazy" ideas. Been a while since I have been in the boat. So, let me visualize this, the goose neck holds the boom (and sail) on the port side. Block is on port side. Put cleat on mast under block, on port side of mast. Now when on a port tack wind will blow sail to starboard, against mast and cleat. As one goes from close hauled to a reach goose neck and boom rotates on mast. Sail rotates around mast,over cleat. Now I understand. Thanks for clearing that up for me. Do you suggest rivits or screws to hold the cleat? Cam cleat or horn?

I will only come to the NA in 2008 in Erie if they are held in January.Possibly February.DL

That can be arranged just for you. Do you presently own a set of runners, a motorcycle helmet and snowsuit??

Alternately, we could find a big snowy hill and do speed runs, sans sails.

Sledding on a FISH??....That would ROCK!! Could you steer with the rudder? Eighty degrees, light breeze, cloudless skies down here today. Have not gone sledding for years (decades!). No snowsuits, they make me look too heavy in my hips.

ME.....8 degrees light breeze, cloudless skies here today.

Feels like I havent been sailing in years.

Been sledding too much! My hips and butt are sore!!!

Tim, why don't you wear your hiking shorts under your snowsuit? They are great for those late fall football games on aluminum bleachers too.

Blame the winter, a long, cold winter for "crazy" ideas. Been a while since I have been in the boat. So, let me visualize this, the goose neck holds the boom (and sail) on the port side. Block is on port side. Put cleat on mast under block, on port side of mast. Now when on a port tack wind will blow sail to starboard, against mast and cleat. As one goes from close hauled to a reach goose neck and boom rotates on mast. Sail rotates around mast,over cleat. Now I understand. Thanks for clearing that up for me. Do you suggest rivits or screws to hold the cleat? Cam cleat or horn?

Here in France our boats are built 180 degrees opposite of the US boats! Therefore it is I who is confused. You are right, you do not want the sail rubbing against the cleat. I will defer to the others who have suggested how to mount the cleat. A horn cleat lets you cleat two lines on the cleat - your halyard and your Jens line, whereas a clam or cam cleat only lets you cleat one line at a time.

Have a nice weekend, and good luck to all of you sledding on your Sunfishes.

BB

Not to mention with a cam cleat if you use the tail for a vang you can easily end up pulling the halyard out of the cam. That's why we use the standard horned cleat.
Now as a slight highjack I do like cam cleats for mainsheet outboard blocks over clam cleats. I can adjust the mainsheet easier with cams than clams.

Back