Mast and Step

James W.

I have a complete Sunfish lateen rig which I love- mast, booms, blocks, sail, halyard.

Here's my "problem":
The boat/hull (Force 5) mast step has inside diameter of 2.5 in. The Sunfish mast has OD of 2.25 in.
I gotta take up 1/8 in. space all around the mast. I need a "sleeve" of sorts.

Here's my conclusion, non messy, no pouring in any liquids, epoxy, etc. and inexpensive:
I'll try to find a piece of pvc pipe that has OD of about 2.5 (or close) with thickness of 1/8 in.
I'll cut a piece to match the depth of the mast step. Then I can cut it in half, length wise. Put
the pieces around the mast base- heat it up if have to, so conforms better to the curve of mast.
Then I cut smaller strips, again lengthwise, to fill in the gaps around the mast. Wrap this with
waterproof duct tape. Voila!! Cheap, jury-rigged "sleeve". ???

....or... use 1/8 in. sheet of HDPE and wrap it around mast bast (suggested by someone).

....or.. put wax paper around mast bast, wrap with glass cloth, resin it up, let it dry.
repeat until 1/8 thick.

ANY IDEAS ??

Thanks, James

Interesting. I have seen a Sunfish rig on a Laser but never a Force 5. You may have to fiddle with the halyard attachment point and the gooseneck position but it should work.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

You don't need a sleeve. Just let the mast rotate (like it does on the Sunfish).
Fitting the Sunfish mast to the Force 5 mast step will result in a sloppy—possibly embarrassing—fit. :confused: The slop would tend to stress both mast and step.

There are various applications of inexpensive plastic pipe (drinking water, hot water, sun-resistant, conduit) that could allow for a better fit—at negligible cost increase—and still allow mast rotation. I'd even carry the sleeve up a few inches to support the mast at its most vulnerable point. (As I found out so well two seasons ago!) :oops:

Fitting the Sunfish mast to the Force 5 mast step will result in a sloppy—possibly embarrassing—fit. :confused: The slop would tend to stress both mast and step.

There are various applications of inexpensive plastic pipe (drinking water, hot water, sun-resistant, conduit) that could allow for a better fit—at negligible cost increase—and still allow mast rotation. I'd even carry the sleeve up a few inches to support the mast at its most vulnerable point. (As I found out so well two seasons ago!) :oops:

The tube on my 2006 Sunfish measures 2 3/8 inches in diameter. Some people, including me, use a vinyl sheet (from a binder) to minimize any 'slop'.

Last edited:

Back