Manufacturer? How to find where it was made.

markg

Hello.
The number on my transom is 153722.
I had a look on http://www.lasersailing.com/boat-info/uk/introduction
which says my boat was manufactured in 1994.
I would like to know if there is any way i can find out where it was made and by which company.
I bought the boat for 45,000 Thai Baht - about 1000 US dollars including the trolley and sail etc which i reckon is a good deal ?
I'd love to know how the hell it ended up in Phuket, Thailand.
Any advice appreciated.
Mark

markg said:
Hello.
I would like to know if there is any way i can find out where it was made and by which company.
Mark

The numbers on the transom should begin with some letters, and they will tell you the maker.

$1000 for a '94 with dolly is a great deal.

thanks for the reply Merrily.
I was confused about the details of exactly what and where are the required numbers and letters. On the above website it gave an example which had letters prefixing the numbers.
My boat only has 2 silver coloured stickers inside the cockpit stating that it is a laser. One of them has just those numbers on it. No letters. ............so i tried my luck on that website which says "input your sail number". I only have these numbers so i put them in and it came back as a '94.

I will probably go sailing again tomorrow so i will take a photo of the 2 stickers. If i still cant fathom them out, i will post a low resolution image on here to see if anyone else can.

I went sailing today - it was very windy with a lovely surfable swell.
Happy sailing.

markg said:
thanks for the reply Merrily.
I was confused about the details of exactly what and where are the required numbers and letters. On the above website it gave an example which had letters prefixing the numbers.
My boat only has 2 silver coloured stickers inside the cockpit stating that it is a laser. One of them has just those numbers on it. No letters. .

If there's no number embossed in the gel coat somewhere on the transom, look under the bow eye for numbers. If there are numbers under the bow eye, there will be no more than 4 digits. On the transom, look carefully as it can wear and be hard to see. I thought every Laser made has numbers in one of those two places. I never heard of numbers only on a sticker in the cockpit. Does anyone else know anything about that?

sailor327 said:
well it is actually a combination of letters and numbers on the transom.
Yes - that's what i read on the laser Uk website. I will have another look next weekend when i sail again, but so far the only numbers i have seen are the ones on a sticker on the transom side of the cockpit. There are no letters at all on it. I think the best bet is for me to photo them and post it on here next week.Maybe mine is a copied laser - though i have been assured mine is the real article. The club laser is a copy - and seems to be about 20kg heavier than mine.

hey, underneath your bow eye there is a combination of digits, on this thing, you can find out where its from, i dont know how, but there are probably people who know around here. It's from the 160 000 numbers they started to put it on the transom. The silver stickers are the replacement of the metal plates that youst to be mounted above the toestrap.

greetz Tom Laser BEL 120343

Hello
Yes indeed there are numbers and letters under the bow eye
They are SE 040
Can anyone help me find where it was made from these?
Mark

Back