Maintenance to my Centerboard/Dagger board

laser138450

After looking closely at my dagger board i noticed that the bottom edge of the foil is really rough and in places has small chips in it. How would you recommend repairing this edge to make it smooth - maybe some wet and dry paper? Also the leading edge of the dagger board has the white layer rubbed off and now shows a yellow layer, is there anyway to get it back to it's original white state?

It's a good idea to fill the nicks/chips/gouges instead of just sanding them out as the length of the board will get smaller and smaller each time. Any filler will work, I personally use cheap Bondo, it sticks just fine, is fast drying and sands easily.

On the leading edge, the only way to get the white back it to paint it again - The cause is the gelcoat on the top of the daggerboard case on the boat is harder then the finish on the daggerboard, the solution is to get a piece of tape or velcro on the top of the daggerboard case and extend it down into the case 1"

After looking closely at my dagger board i noticed that the bottom edge of the foil is really rough and in places has small chips in it. How would you recommend repairing this edge to make it smooth - maybe some wet and dry paper? Also the leading edge of the dagger board has the white layer rubbed off and now shows a yellow layer, is there anyway to get it back to it's original white state?

I wouldn't worry about painting the leading edge. It's a wear spot, and anything you paint over will just wear again. It's important for it to be smooth, but not look pretty.

Back