mainsheet smell

sailorsteven

I sail in the Cheseapeake bay and my mainsheet absolutely reeks. Do you think I could throw it in the washing machine?

I sail in the Cheseapeake bay and my mainsheet absolutely reeks. Do you think I could throw it in the washing machine?

Yes, but use a delicate setting and also use soap flakes like Downy, not detergent. Spread it to air dry. After that when you use it, rinse it and all your lines with fresh water after sailing and air dry.

A hand-washing in a bucket with Oxi-clean does wonders for my old lines. Those were all big boat halyards that had gone stiff. I can't see why it wouldn't work well on the mainsheet too.

I chuck a cap full of bleach in a big bucket of water. Kills all the smell. Does not seem to affect the life of the line as I have been doing if for years with the same one.

Now, if I can figure out how to get the smell out of some of my sailing gear bags - second only in smell to my hockey gear!

I chuck a cap full of bleach in a big bucket of water. Kills all the smell. Does not seem to affect the life of the line as I have been doing if for years with the same one.

Bleach destroys some synthetics.

Put your gear out in the sun and fresh air for a few days. That should help.

Back