Mainsheet Problems

Recently i have been having more and more problems with my mainsheet getting tangled and knotted at inconveniant times, praticulairly the windward mark. From a few months after i started racing i began tieing the end of my rooster mainsheet to the hiking strap, as opposed to just a stopper knot. THis worked well as all the knots that developed in the line were slip knots. , followed by the tieing of the main to the back of the hiking strap (which worked better). However, recently (praticulairly with my new rooster mainsheet) with the sheet tied to the back of the strap i have been getting the worst tangles and twists. I untwist my mainsheet almost every time i go sailing. I even began only eightknotting mny sheet so that i could remove the twists, which i have began the use of. I was wondering If there were other opinions on this issue.

In addition, i have tried other things to avoid tangles, to moderate sucsess. Kicking the sheet to the back of the boat works best for me kicking it to the front...followed by flaking it out before the mark rounding.

Thanks for the help

i find i'm having the same problem. my mainsheet was new mid march from Laser,
and its slip knots that are appearing in the mainsheet, don't know how they get there

before i go sailing i tie one end of the main around the club house drain pipe and walkalong the ;ine to the other end to take out all the twists. but they come bk!!

144679 said:
i find i'm having the same problem. my mainsheet was new mid march from Laser,
and its slip knots that are appearing in the mainsheet, don't know how they get there

before i go sailing i tie one end of the main around the club house drain pipe and walkalong the ;ine to the other end to take out all the twists. but they come bk!!

Try this thread. Go to Steve Cockerill's post more than halfway down.
One poster liked to throw his into the water, hanging on to one end, and dragging it for awhile to get rid of the twists.
http://www.laserforum.org/showthread.php?t=868&highlight=rooster+rope

Back