Mainsheet diameter on old lasers

lca765

I need to replace my mainsheet (and sail) due to theft and was wondering if the diameter mainsheet used to be larger than 6 mm. My laser is a 1982 model, I think it was called a super laser or something due to the rainbow sail and graphics on the hull. I remember the mainsheet as being fairly large, a lot closer to 3/8 inch (9-10mm) versus 6mm.

Also, the laser spec sheet lists the mainsheet as "6mm Flair" for the standard laser and "7mm Rooster". What's the difference between Flair and Rooster line?

--
Lance

I need to replace my mainsheet (and sail) due to theft and was wondering if the diameter mainsheet used to be larger than 6 mm. My laser is a 1982 model, I think it was called a super laser or something due to the rainbow sail and graphics on the hull. I remember the mainsheet as being fairly large, a lot closer to 3/8 inch (9-10mm) versus 6mm.Also, the laser spec sheet lists the mainsheet as "6mm Flair" for the standard laser and "7mm Rooster". What's the difference between Flair and Rooster line?--
Lance

Go with 8mm (5/16") for recreational and club racing, much easier on the hands. Marlow Marstrom is the old standby that was used for years. The 6mm Flair is basiclly 1/4" Marstrom like line but way to thin for rec use. The 7MM Rooster is slighty larger then 1/4" and claims to be no twist...

My mainsheet is 9-10 mm I would guess. It is an old '76er and I guess the mainsheet must be old too then if it is that thick. But it is in good condition.

I just bought an old '76, and my mainsheet is pretty large (9mm? ish) but seems to work well, it is comfortable, doesn't twist and runs smooth...

Back