Mainsheet block options

dwb

Hi All;

This is my first post on this forum. I recently bought a used standard Laser and intend to race it. I used this forum to research what to look for when looking at used Lasers and found the information extremely useful - - thanks everyone.

I have been religiously reading the rules on the ILRA website. I fully agree with the philosophy of this class and want to be legal.

I have a question about the mainsheet block just behind the daggerboard. After seeing the following statement in the rules under section 1 (c)

" iii. The mainsheet block may be replaced by any
type of single block with or without an internal or
attached jamming device, and mounted in the
position shown on the measurement diagram.
The block may be supported by a spring, ball,
plastic tube or tape."

Does that mean that I can use a device such as the Harken H205 "Harken Cam Cleat Swivel Arm Base" along with the standard mainsheet block, as long as it is mounted in exactly the same place as the original? It sure sounds like it would be allowed according to rule 1 (c) iii. If this is not legal, then please explain how I am mis-interpreting this rule.

In the past, I had a similar device on my FJ and found it really useful at times.

Thanks

You won't want to have the swivel cam. You cannot react fast enough to the wind changes and will spend too much time swimming. Go with a good ratchet block and learn to hang on to the sheet. Mine came with side cams and I use them rarely. Mostly between races when I want to grab some water or a protein bar.

Congrats and welcome. You are reading the rules correctly - it is allowed. However, Foxy points out all the right reasons not to use it (Lot of folks tried them out in the 70's and realized the pitfalls, and the lessons learned have been passed on since)

Thanks for the information and advice. At least I interpreted the rule properly. I hadn't decided to get one, I was just wondering if it was allowed. I need to get a lot more time in my Laser and learn the techniques for handling the mainsheet efficiently. I am looking forward to my first race, the "Lotsa Lasers" race near Nashville in September.

hola.

I don't even like to use the rachet part on the main sheet block so that the line can run freely...particularly downwind on gybes...I swim ok but I don't like to mix both sports :) I sometimes use the rachet upwind to rest the arms or if it gets windy but that is about it...and I get nervous (not wanting to go swimming while sailing) even using those cute little cam cleats on the sides...seems every time I use them the wind puffs-or shifts-or get in a lull or something to muck me up...

best of luck
Antolin

OK, I understand the reaction time thing but I'm not convinced. I sail on a very fluky lake with wind speeds of 12-20 knots. I find the boat absorbs the "puffs" well and having the sheet cleated allows me to concentrate on steering and sail set. I keep the main in my hand at all times for the occasional big puff release. I only use the cleats when going close to weather. Why is this wrong?

ML

OK, I understand the reaction time thing but I'm not convinced. I sail on a very fluky lake with wind speeds of 12-20 knots. I find the boat absorbs the "puffs" well and having the sheet cleated allows me to concentrate on steering and sail set. I keep the main in my hand at all times for the occasional big puff release. I only use the cleats when going close to weather. Why is this wrong?

ML

When you say "the boat absorbs the puffs", if you are talking about upwind sailing, it absorbs them by heeling over, which is slow in the Laser.

If you are sailing on a fluky lake, you are also dealing with quickly shifting wind (either velocity or actual wind direction) and it's much faster to react to those changes by sheeting in/sheeting out as opposed to trying to steer up/steer down with the sail cleated.

So the idea is to use the main as sort of throttle keeping the boat flat and dumping the puffs? I appreciate your patience here as I am new to the Laser. Coming from cats, main sheet settings are not as numerous or critical as it seems they are on this boat.

ML

So the idea is to use the main as sort of throttle keeping the boat flat and dumping the puffs? I appreciate your patience here as I am new to the Laser. Coming from cats, main sheet settings are not as numerous or critical as it seems they are on this boat.

ML

Essentially, yes.

If you can't keep your boat flat, you either need to depower more, or, in the puffs, you need to sheet out.

If it's windy, and you an see a puff coming, it's wise to sheet out a little before it reaches you to compensate, so you're ready for it.

It's called vang sheeting (in the breeze).

I've never understood why you need mainsheet cleats. The ones on the deck get in the way all the time. Literally. The few times I've sailed a boat that had them, I was sitting on them all the time, which sucked.

I really see no use for them.

Back