Mainsheet Block Backing Plate

kastlzp

Does anybody make a backing plate for mounting the mainsheet block? I have a very tired but trusty old boat (#26822) and the self tapping screws that hold the block and the hiking strap have pulled through. I know I can through bolt it, but I'd feel better if there were a stainless plate down there.

Any ideas?

i don't know about you, but in my garage is a ton of bit & pieces that could be made into a backing plate.
if you don't have any metal laying about, a good piece of hardwood would work. It may raot away, but not in less than 10 years or so... be creative.

The big problem is the layup of the daggerboard trunk and the cockpit wall - in many hulls, it ends up in the way of being able to use one backing plate for both.

You can also use an oversize washer on each bolt, (fender washers with one side partially ground away works well at times)

If you have long (a couple of inches each) stress cracks around the holes, or the holes have really enlarged, you might also consider laying up a couple more layers of glass mat on the outside - I had to do this with my '76 hull as the area was really weak and the holes were really enlarged. I added a couple of layers approx 4" by 4" in the area a few years ago, everything is still solid now after a two years of daily summer sailing by a junior.

Does anybody make a backing plate for mounting the mainsheet block? I have a very tired but trusty old boat (#26822) and the self tapping screws that hold the block and the hiking strap have pulled through. I know I can through bolt it, but I'd feel better if there were a stainless plate down there.

Any ideas?
Hi Buddy, i had the same problem on my 3113 laser. So l removed the block and the strap, filled all holes with epoxy, then sanded the surface and applied 3 coats of glassfiber mat (with resin of course!). Then redrilled new holes and refitted the lot. That was in 1999. Still ok today, in 20 knots wind in Cagliary, southern Sardinia. Good luck Bosco

Back