main sheet length

nmandell

Anyone know the optimal length of the laser main sheet? I need a new one and have heard a range of 42' to 48', with some saying 46' is best. Any info appreciated.

I bought the racing package from APS. They sold me the 46'. It is just long enough to tie at the end of my cockpit and have a foot or two left over. I also marked mine with black perm marker to show when it is out at 90 degrees.

well, if you are feeling really froggy, you can take a bit of white sail thread & do a bit of seizing at the point where your boom is at 90º.

though, you will need to run the main sheet the same way every time.

cheers

Yeah it is kind of annoying but still worth it. My main should really never be past 90. The white stitching was a great idea roshambo. My permanent marker is always wearing away after time.

Portstar said:
When setting up on shore the sail fully rigged I put a knot at 90 degrees and don't take it out.

Yeah, i do that too. that always helps as a fail safe system incase you let the sheet go.

Portstar said:
When setting up on shore the sail fully rigged I put a knot at 90 degrees and don't take it out.
Hi,
sorry to say that, but this is not useful.
Why?
Well, imagine this situation: You race, and a big fleet is around you, downwinds to the leeward mark. The wind already comes exact from behind and it's gusty.
Now, if suddenly the wind turns a bit "overdownwinds" and usually you have to gybe, a long enough mainsheet is much needed, that do allow you, to set the boom a bit more than 90 degrees to the centerline of the boat for not to gybe but defense your position in the fleet (where the next competitor at the starboatside is away only a few foot and to the portside the same).
Ergo: Marking the mainsheet is much better than knoting it.

Ciao
LooserLu

LooserLu said:
a long enough mainsheet is much needed, that do allow you, to set the boom a bit more than 90 degrees to the centerline of the boat for not to gybe but defense your position in the fleet (where the next competitor at the starboatside is away only a few foot and to the portside the same).
Ergo: Marking the mainsheet is much better than knoting it.

Ciao
LooserLu

Wow.... I needed to know this trick last week, instead I got a bump on my head when the gybe happened. Now I know.

This is good infomation Lu.

Cindy

Cindy Taylor said:
Wow.... I needed to know this trick last week, instead I got a bump on my head when the gybe happened. Now I know.

This is good infomation Lu.

Cindy
:)
But, Cindy, you better practice it in gusty winds before you use it in a race. Sometimes, the Laser loses her stabilty earlier by doing that "over-sheeting" and you perhaps have to go for a swim....
Ciao
LooserLu

jeez
are you serious?

at 92º, i believe the line will be a little more than 46'
play it safe by 48' & cut off what is not needed.

fyi, if the mainsheet leingth is 46', how can it be at 90 degrees when it is at 46'. a 46"'mainsheet lets you go out to about 120 degrees. i am gona take an educated guess and say about 42' is about 92 degrees. thats just a guess. correct me if i am wrong

Back