Maiden Voyage

no4j

Cool! Took my wife (Barby) with me on the maiden voyage of our new (1991) mod 2.
I LOVE THIS BOAT!
The winds were very light which was a disappointment but the boat moved along very well in light air. Did not leak a drop. All in all we had a great time. Launching and recovering was a cinch.
Three things need to be addressed.
1. The hiking stick completely separated from the tiller. The rubber thingy broke in two.
2. The trailer winch must be replaced. I already have a new one. Just have to put it on.
3. Gotta get rid of those pesky guides over the cleats on the jib car sets. I read here somewhere that somebody recommends that.

Other that that, perfect! What a boat!

Congrats

Congrats on your first trip on your Capri. I purchased a 14.2 two seasons ago, with no sailing experience so every trip is an adventure for me. I hope you have a wonderful time with your capri.

Not the fairleads that are outboard of the cleats. Just the guides above the cleats. Way too much resistance when trying to tack and pull the jib in on the other side. At least that's my experience.

It sounds like something is not adjusted properly. The eye strap shouldn't cause the jib sheet to be hard to pull. What size line are you using for your jib sheets? I'm currently using 8 mm (~5/16 in) Swiftcord -- very comfortable, nice line!

You probably saw the suggestion to remove the strap in the C-14 Handbook, p. 35. The reason was to prevent accidently re-cleating the sheet when tacking.

Well, there may be the problem. It looks like my sheets are 7/16". You say yours are 5/16". I love the feel of my sheets. I never thought they were too thick. What say everyone else? What is the proper thickness for the sheets?

With my sheets, when we tack, my wife has to pull the leeward sheet in while I feed the windward sheet out through the jib car set. The combination of the fair lead and the guide over the cleat provides too much resistance. Obviously, this could create a bad situation in a high wind. Also, with the back pressure applied to the jib, it wants to hang on the shroud.

So is the answer smaller sheets?

Back