Maiden Launch Query....

linesmachine

After some repair jobs I'm finally ready to put my 1970s Laser into the Atlantic in Cornwall, UK at the end of this week. Thanks to all who have spent the time to answer my nooby questions. You've been an invaluable resource and I can't tell you how excited I am.

From experience can anyone think of any things I should be looking out for during her maiden voyage? Other than sinking of course which would be self-explanatory! One thing I am concerned about is the spars popping out as the sleeves are a bit loose. Should I just tape them up permanently and be done with it? It is an 82k number sail and is in average/poor condition so is likely to be replaced after this summer, I just don't have the money right now.

You can tape round the joint of the upper and lower mast sections so they won't separate and also make sure you have a mast retaining line attached to the mast and round the blocks for the deck cleats (XD spec) so the mast wont drop out if you flip it....

For just patching up the sail use PSP heavy duty dacron insignia tape.

Hope it helps and Good Luck!!
Piers HS

Thanks. I've used the dacron repair tape on two rips in the sail. Still got some left so I might patch the batten pockets up with it, is that what you meant? It doesn't matter that I can't get the battens out does it?

Nice to see another Oxfordshire based sailor. Which club are with?

*edit* Sorry, you're at Farmoor. I learnt to sail there!

Thanks. I've used the dacron repair tape on two rips in the sail. Still got some left so I might patch the batten pockets up with it, is that what you meant? It doesn't matter that I can't get the battens out does it?
/QUOTE]

youre going to have to take out the battens if you are going to regattas and you have to travel (fold your sail)

...well any competitive racing will be very low key this season. Probably only a bit of sailing club stuff. Is there a problem with folding up the sails with the battens still in? Remembering that my sail is poor condition and likely to be replaced...

Congratulations.

No, I would not worry about the battens staying in. Yes, folding the sail will be troublesome, I keep mine rolled, so the battens are always in anyway. Although, taping up the batten pockets really shouldn't be necessary unless the sail is torn and/or the battens don't fit. In either case, I'd highly recommend buying one of the non-class laser sails to use until you can afford to pick up a class-legal sail. If the sail is as well-used as your description implies, then your time on the water may be more frustrating than enjoyable. just a thought.

Also, I would not recommend taping up the spars either. And do not worry about them "popping out." They are designed to be fit together and the rig will hold them that way.

After putting a lot of work into the boat, the one thing you need to watch out for is water where it shouldn't be. For your first sail, check and double check the hull plug, put the boat in the water, take it for a sail, and bring it back in after an hour or so and check the hull for water. Then maybe a few hours more and check again. If the hull stays dry, have a drink to celebrate. If there is a very little bit of water, it may be condensation, it may be from a fitting, but if it's acceptable, have a drink anyway :cool: And go back out and have fun. Chances are after a day on the water, you'll have a few things you'll want to change anyway. Consider waiting until then to tape things up that may not need it.

If the hull stays dry, have a drink to celebrate. If there is a very little bit of water, it may be condensation, it may be from a fitting, but if it's acceptable, have a drink anyway :cool: And go back out and have fun.

...so basically, if it floats; DRINK. If it kinda floats; DRINK. If it sinks; well I was probably gonna have a drink if it sinks:) Thanks for the suggestion about the sail. It's my only "known" concern. At the end of the season I am going to invest in a new, laser regulation, sail. By then I will know if it's worth it or not.

Taping the batten pockets should be fine as I have repaired mine in the same way but you can repair the inboard end and the majority of the pocket without blocking the pockets. You can flake the sails so they fit with the battens still so taping the pockets up should not be a problem...

I am with Radley College Sailing Club at the moment. I learnt at farmoor aswell, good place...

The battons don't come out easily, only if they aren't put in all the way or if there is a massive tear in the pocket.

Its really hard to sink a laser, one of the junior lasers got a hole in the hull and still didn't sink even completely filled with water. A laser filled with water feels like its plowing through the water, if there's alot of water you can hear it sloshing around.

You don't have to tape the spars together, just put some rigging tape around the joint so that its tighter. It should give you a better sail shape than if you don't have a tight joint.

Back