Magical mystery sail

laserxd

!Bs8T1q!BWk~$(KGrHqUOKicEvPT9onMnBL52wevco!~~_35.JPG

Here's one of the last competitive ones winning a race at the Bruce Cup in the late 1980s. That's Current NA VP Faust on 129558 trailing along for a distant second place

80589%20whumping%20Faust.jpg

My teenage son has been crewing for me on big boats on and off for a couple of years and this Spring he's started sailing dinghies. Since he is on his own across the bay, I made sure to explain the basic right of way rules. We discussed all the basics, like rowing/sail/power, Starboard/Port, Leeward/Windward, and of course, be especially cautious of boats with colored sails, because it almost always identifies (locally anyway) rental boats, that may or may not know anything about these rules.

I'm almost ashamed to admit... I wrote on the appropriate sides of the boom "ST" and "PT - Give way" with a sharpie...

Here's one of the last competitive ones winning a race at the Bruce Cup in the late 1980s. That's Current NA VP Faust on 129558 trailing along for a distant second place

I've seen that image before... I'm struck by how close the aft end of the boom is to the deck, and guessing that it was a pretty good blow that day... also, it looks like 129558 has a significant flex in the boom... but that may be due to the shadow of the boom on the foot.

I've seen that image before... I'm struck by how close the aft end of the boom is to the deck, and guessing that it was a pretty good blow that day... also, it looks like 129558 has a significant flex in the boom... but that may be due to the shadow of the boom on the foot.

I'm going to venture to guess there's no boom sleeve.

Back