Looking to get back into a laser after about 15 years.

tmelderis

Hi all. I'm in the process of looking for a used Laser. I used to sail Lasers when I was 12-14 yrs old. I recently have sold a pair of small cruisers, and now just want something small, fast, and easy to rig and launch myself. Well I actually still have a boat for sale (nearly new Precision P-18 if anyone is interested). So I figure a Laser would be a good choice.

What would you all say is the maximum weight for a Laser sailor? I'm 215-220lbs. When I use to sail them I was about 135-145lbs. Can I still get up on plane in a Laser, or should I look for a larger boat.

Thanks,

you could do it, you sail get on plane in a laser in 15-20

or sail a finn, but it is alot of boat, and more expensive

I'm about 230 lbs (the "100 kilo club", as my European friends call it :rolleyes:) and I can get the Laser planning in winds over about 15 kn (maybe a bit less - I've never carefully mapped the exact transition).

I'm generally about a mid-fleet sailor, and that's where I end up when I'm racing my Laser.

Why Not Take A Look At The Laser With The New Rooster 8.1 Rig ?
Rig Can Be Bought Seperate And Can Be Used On Any Laser 1.
Just A Thought !

dobh: I like the look of that 8.1 rig. That might be exactly what I'm looking for. I didn't see a US$ price on that site, you have any idea what those prices work out to in US dollars?

Thanks

Also what price do you all think is reasonable for a 10 or so year old laser that is in good shape and ready to sail? I live in SW Florida if that makes a difference.

HI , TMELDERIS THE 8.1 RIG COMES WITH A SAIL , BATTERNS , MAST SECTION AND MEMBERSHIP TO THE CLASS ASSOCIATION ( UK ONLY , I THINK ) THE PRICE CONVERTS TO ABOUT 705 US DOLLARS PLUS SHIPPING .
I'VE NO IDEA IF ROOSTER WILL SHIP TO THE STATES BUT LOOKING AT MASTERMIKES POST WWW.JDEMARINE.COM MIGHT BE ABLE TO HELP YOU.

tmeld,

Hey, we're both in SW Florida and looks like we've got the same idea. Get back into the Lasers again! I sailed them all the time in Orlando, but like you it was over 10 years ago. I'll keep the "big boat" and use the Laser for times when I just want to sail by myself.

AD

Back