Looking to get a Laser

JCarlos

Hello all,

Just ran across your forum and it’s been very helpful so far. My situation is… My family spends a lot of time at out cabin in the Mountains, here in Ca. They love to spend time just relaxing on the beach at the lake… I just can sit there all day. So over the weekend my wife suggested I get a sailboat to play with while were at the lake. The two sailboats most of the people have at the lake are the Laser and the El Toro. They also do daily (I think it’s daily) races there. So I started my research on the Laser (faster and more sporty that the El Toro… no offence to El Toro owners). I don’t know were to start? Should I look for an older boat that is good shape and upgrade the “4 major changes” that have taken place with the boat over the years. Or should I try to stick to a certain year range? Really just looking for a baseline on pricing compared to year. I did read the “buyers guide”… good stuff.

Thanks for any help.
JC

If you are new to sailing any boat in decent shape will do. You can later if you feel like it get some of the upgrades. If your the type that will want the upgrades look carefully before you buy, a $1500 15-20 year old boat that "needs" $1000 in upgrades will be no where near as nice as a $3000 boat that is 4 or 5 years old.

Thanks for the info. That is what I've been thinking. I've seen boats for 4k-5k that are sweet looking... but I've also seen some good deals (what I think might be good deals)... I found a few boats online that run anywhere between $500 - $1000 that would get me out there. I'm not sure if I'm able to post the links of the boats I found in my area to get opinions to see if they are worth making the trip to check out... (I don't want to break the "terms of use")... am I able to post a link to another site so show a few boats I've found?

Thanks,
JC

Pictures dont show soft spots as described in the buyers guide, fo rthat you have to suck it up and drive there.

For me I already own a project boat so I wanted something that was perfect or near perfect right out of the gate. It took a while but I found a 2004 this summer for 3 grand with a dolly and both Radial and Full rigs. As an added bonus turns out they never actually used the full rig!

. I'm not sure if I'm able to post the links of the boats I found in my area to get opinions to see if they are worth making the trip to check out... (I don't want to break the "terms of use")... am I able to post a link to another site so show a few boats I've found?

Thanks,
JC

Yes, you can post links for that purpose.

Back