looking for detailed info on parts.

DIYguy

It is likely that i will be acquiring a sunfish hull and trailer for free. The only problem is it is missing anything that is not attached directly to the hull. I would love to make this into a project my nephew and i can do together. Parts like the dagger board and the rudder and maybe the tiller arm i could make if i had specs. Also if i had the dimensions of the mast and spars i would think about doing them too. i work at a metal fab shop and am a decent carpenter so this project is well within my skill set. the small parts i will likely have to buy along with the sail but the rest i would love to work on with my nephew.
Please if you have any helpful link or advice i would appreciate it. I am trying to figure out the cost before i start this project.

thank you

Matias,
thank you so much. the only other info I need is the wall thickness and diameter of the mast and spars so i can price it out.
Also i am hoping someone can help me guess the year. There is a decal on it that is blue and white and read AMF Alcort sunfish. and if it helps the diagonal strip on deck is 2 small blue lines with a center yellow line.

DIYguy,
If I were you I would make everything possible. The store bought stuff is pretty pricey and for the most part. I'm sure the tubing for the mast and spars can be had pretty cheap for you to add you hardware and caps to. The only thing I haven't been able to find for my 1980 project is the aluminum trim for the bonded flange that runs around the perimeter of the boat. The original extrusion has a true "U" shaped profile. I found something similar at Lowe's in 8" sticks for about $15. I tried it on for looks and it's really sharp looking. The only difference is the bottom of the "U" isn't rounded. Instead it is flat. Four sticks for $60 is better than 7 five foot sticks from Sunfish Direct for over $150. Fewer seams and $90 left over for beer. I'm in!

I was told the serial number tells the year by the last two digits. I think most boats since the mid-late 70's have the serial number stamped into the gelcoat. Squat down at the rear of your boat and look at the far right corner or the transom...up near where the deck and hull join. You should see the serial # there.

found the SN# if i understand correctly it is a 1986 model. the last info i need is what diameter are the spars? in all the pictures i see they look to be smaller thinner than the mast.

Kenyon Spars 1 1/2" Round Boom Section
Measurements: 1 1/2" OD (38mm)
Wall Thickness: .065"
Weight/ft.: .345 lbs.
Moments of inertia: Ixx = ."
Circumference: 4 5/8"
Alloy: 6063-T6
Sail slides: none
Standard Tube Lengths: 6'3", 8', 10'6", 12', 21'4", 27'4", 27'8"
1.5-Boom.html_txt_Ken_round_tube.gif
Common Boom usage: AMF Puffer, Sailfish, Sunfish; Cape Dory 10, 14; Coxswain; Doodle; Enterprise; Nautical 747; O'Day Widgeon; Penguin; Phantom; PY-12; Snark; Stingray; Tech Dingy; TC 12; Yankee Dinghy; and hundreds of other dinghies.

Thanks rhr for that info. I just measured my spar and the OD is indeed 1.5". Can't readily measure the ID, obviously.

I wonder how much a spar made from that Kenyon tubing is going to cost. Freight may be costly.

I spent a lot of time last year trying to find an aluminum tube distributor that sold anodized 6063-T6 tube of the right dimensions and I was not successful at all. I'm in Massachusetts so things might be different in your area.

What I did find was that Rig-Rite in Warwick, RI sells just the mast tube for about $100 but unless you're close, the freight charge is going to be expensive.

If you do a search in this forum you'll find that this topic has been discussed quite a bit. Most people, I think, end up finding these these things used on Craigslist or through the members on this forum who sell used parts (Alan Glos and Herb Baker).

well that took longer than i thought, i just got the hull today :/
the guy i got it from really dragged his heels, and this whole year that has past it has been sitting face up outside on its trailer, so it is filled with water :( i read about the joy of drying these out, now i get to experience it first hand....

oh but i may have a lead for those looking for anodized 6063-T6 tube for the mast and spars, look up your local railing fabshops, there is a local one that sells festivus poles made out of non-anodized 6063-T6 tube... my bet is they got the anodized stuff too, will let you know more when i price them out.

Also 6061-T6 may be cheaper than 6063-T6 because 6061 is very commonly used. 6061-T6 is quite a bit stronger as well (I'm looking in an engineering book now). Both will weigh about the same.

Back