Light Air Windward Techniques

I want to try and find out the best technique of sailing to windward in light air (0 to 5 knts). The technique I am using is based on reducing the wetted area of the hull by as much as possible. This is what I do:
  • Sit as far forward as possible to keep the bow down and lift the transom up and lean the boat to leeward. Leaning the boat to leeward also reduces wetted area as well as using the natural curve of the hull to give some push to windward.
  • I normally sail with a flattish sail so that the response of the boat to the wind is quicker. Rather than the wind having to divert further around a full sail.
  • I also let the traveller off so that the boom can be sheeted further inboard to give better pointing.
  • The vang is only on enough to stop the boom from coming off.
I have heard that the boat should be sailed flatter to get as much centreboard in the water due to it being undersized.

Any help would be appreciated. BTW I weigh 94kg

Ian

There are many things to consider,

-the flatter or even slight windward heel in flat water results in higher pointing but neutral feeling on the helm, it takes alot of practice to master
-heeling to leeward gives feel on the helm and isn't quite as fast in flat water, if there are waves a leeward heel helps the boat cut through the waves and dump water that washes over the deck off the leeward side rather than in the cockpit
-sitting forward is crucial, you want to keep the transom out of the water to reduce drag, if the transom is in the water there is disturbed flow
-you have to play with the vang to get it right, you want enough vang so that the boom doesn't pull up on the traveler causing the boom to end up in the center of the boat, this results in the flow coming off the sail at an angle and you want it to flow straight off the transom, there should be around a foot between the traveler block and boom, you want the traveler block to be close to the leeward traveler fairlead
-the outhaul should be set so that there is about a hand's length from the boom cleat to sail
-you can put on a slight amount of cunningham just to get out big creases in the sail, creases can cause disturbed flow and if its an old sail it will help move the draft forward
-make smooth controlled maneuvers, if you're bouncing around you can lose flow on the sail and stall the boat
-current and shifts

There are many things to consider,

-the flatter or even slight windward heel in flat water results in higher pointing but neutral feeling on the helm, it takes alot of practice to master
-heeling to leeward gives feel on the helm and isn't quite as fast in flat water, if there are waves a leeward heel helps the boat cut through the waves and dump water that washes over the deck off the leeward side rather than in the cockpit
-sitting forward is crucial, you want to keep the transom out of the water to reduce drag, if the transom is in the water there is disturbed flow
-you have to play with the vang to get it right, you want enough vang so that the boom doesn't pull up on the traveler causing the boom to end up in the center of the boat, this results in the flow coming off the sail at an angle and you want it to flow straight off the transom, there should be around a foot between the traveler block and boom, you want the traveler block to be close to the leeward traveler fairlead
-the outhaul should be set so that there is about a hand's length from the boom cleat to sail
-you can put on a slight amount of cunningham just to get out big creases in the sail, creases can cause disturbed flow and if its an old sail it will help move the draft forward
-make smooth controlled maneuvers, if you're bouncing around you can lose flow on the sail and stall the boat
-current and shifts

Ta Laserxd

I do sail in flat water. There are no large boats or yachts, with minimal currents. Its just that I also find a bit of leeward heel also gives the sail better shape in winds of <2knots. I'll try with the outboard sheeting angle and see how it goes. Start of the season here in about 3 weeks, can't wait!

The light wind technique I use is as follows:

1) Traveller as tight as possible but so it allows the blocks to go over the tiller.
2) Vang set with the 2 rear blocks around 6 inches apart
3) Outhaul set the same as for heavy breeze (people having this too loose is a very common mistake)
4) Cunningham completely off
5) Sit as far forward as possible, maybe just a few degrees of leeward heel to help the sail stay in hape

Once you have the boat movng concentrate on making your movesments smooth and deliberate and making sure you get the best out of your roll tacks.

Also get your weight as far forward as you can but ensure nothing goes in front of the mast as this is against class rules.

Three time World champ Glenn Bourke actually suggests using a slight windward heel for great height without compromising speed as someone else state above, however this takes a lot of practice to get the right amount because if you use too much the sail will follow you which will kill your boatspeed. The biggest benefit is that if and when a puff hits you, the boat squirts flat rather than being pushed sideways from already being heeled to leeward. I would however suggest practicing this technique before trying it in a race.

windward heel in light air might work for a smaller sailor, but at 94 kilos? and you probably didnt factor in the sailing gear your wearing. you're looking at 210 pounds. i'm the same wait and my light air technique is to go to the bar and wait for everyone else after racing is over. :D

Thats a good point but there are definitely some good light air sailors that are up in the 190-210 range. If you can stay in the pressure and keep moving without stalling or rocking too much and tack smoothly u should be able to at least keep up with the fleet. But yes I would agree weight can be a big disadvantage

Thats a good point but there are definitely some good light air sailors that are up in the 190-210 range. If you can stay in the pressure and keep moving without stalling or rocking too much and tack smoothly u should be able to at least keep up with the fleet. But yes I would agree weight can be a big disadvantage

I actually love the challenge of light air sailing I believe its much more about reading the winds, sailing from one patch of wind to another, even going way from the wayline to get in a good bit of breeze. You can make up huge distances by picking up a bit of breeze that others didn't get and if you fall behind there is always a good chance to make it up.

Sailing in 1-2 knots of wind or almost no wind at all means that you have to deal with luck, at least here in Sweden.

I totally agree, i usually can
I actually love the challenge of light air sailing I believe its much more about reading the winds, sailing from one patch of wind to another, even going way from the wayline to get in a good bit of breeze. You can make up huge distances by picking up a bit of breeze that others didn't get and if you fall behind there is always a good chance to make it up.
I totally agree, i usually can
do about 3 places better in light air just by chasing patches and keeping the boat moving, its more fun that people give it credit for

Back