Life Jacket

Hi, need to purchase a life jacket. New to Laser sailing and would appreciate any advice on what to purchase. Make model ect. Thanks. Mike.

If you are near a boat shop, kayak shop, you should go in and try different ones on. For the Laser you want a snug fitting vest that has a low profile across your back and shoulders.

As you consider purchase of a Life Jacket, you may want to be aware of this requirement in a recent Notice of Race.

"In accordance with US SAILING Regulation 10.01-D, competitors shall wear a U.S. Coast Guard (USCG)-approved Type III personal floatation device (PFD) while on the water, other than for brief periods while adding or removing clothing. Failure to comply with this rule can result in disqualification as deemed appropriate by the protest committee."

It may be splitting hairs; however, you don't want to risk it if you can find a suitable PFD that meets the above requirements.

Good Shopping,

I have a Musto, and it's okay. I don't like the big flotation patch on the chest. It's like wearing a koozie in the summer.

I agree to make sure it's a type III. I've been stuck with one of the old Musto "flotation aids" in very bad weather. Not fun!

Mike you may wish to consider the Gill Pro Racer vest. Gill make a great product at a very reasonable cost. I have only recently purchased one and it is very comfortable and snug so it does not impead movement when tacking. I'm in Australia and was able to source mine locally. It is a UK product but Gill sponsors Australia's Olympic Sailing Team.

Hi, this is my first reply to TLF. I have a Stearns type III, I like it, zip in the front as well as clip fastners, pockets, and reflecter patches, but most importantly crouch straps. When the wind is up, I swim alot.

Several years ago my husband and I went to a kayak shop and tried on several different types. We ended up with the Extrasport brand, we both got the same style. One thing I would suggest if you sail in salt water is to make sure any zippers are plastic or some type of material that won't corrode. My life jacket has a nice pocket with a plastic zipper that actually still works. My husband's has the same pocket with a metal zipper that's been frozen closed from the salt water use.

I would suggest looking at wake board pfds they are extremely comfortable and have the least restriction. I have a helium swat vest, Helium is the company and swat is the name of the model. It is coste approved too!!

I have a Lotus Sherman, and just got a Zhik, both great jackets.

Go to your local dinghy shop make friends and try on lots of them until you find one you like. Don't buy one on-line without trying it on first...

I just bought a zhik one and i find that it is the best it has a big pocket with velcro no zip so i does not matter it you get sand or salt in it i can fit my gloves watch shackle key and a big energy bar easy.

Back