Legality of homemade systems

kch88

I have a late 80's laser, in decent shape, except yesterday when I took it out and rigged it, I pulled the mainsheet tight to hold the boom while I launched, and snap goes a traveler fairlead. I also realized how inefficent it is to have lines running through trucker's hitches as in the old outhaul/cunningham systems. These problems got me thinking. Is it possible to go to West Marine(or similar) and buy some blocks and cam cleats and such that I want, and then drill some holes in my mast and boom for tangs etc., and just rig up my own new outhaul/cunningham, and possibly upgrade my vang slightly? And is it also possible to use metal wherever plastic was used on the original gear? As long as I don't gain too much purchase (which I don't want anyway because it's too slow to haul in), can I upgrade my boat in this way, and not have to spend all the money of the new complete systems(which seem to have too much purchase anyway)? Thanks.

P.S. I am living at the coast on a Kelly Peterson 44, and may not be able to make it back to the library for a computer for some time. So if you could call me at 704-763-2525, or send an e-mail to [email protected] it can probably get forwarded to me quicker. Thanks again.

It is your boat and you can do what ever you want to it. But if you want to still call it a Laser then you must follow the rules set out. There are upgrades that are legal for most of the systems that you are talking about. Do a google search under "laser sail Upgrades" lots of um pop up. The upgrades are very good. But expensive.

I am sure many on this forum will provide links aswell

Back