leaking mast base plug and more

Der_Dude

1. Recently I found some water in my lower mast section when I derigged the boat. I had not capsized that day so I conlude it must have entered through the bottom plug after spray filled the mast step.

While that relatively small amount (mabye two or three cups) does not bother me I wondered wether I should seal the plug to prevent the whole lower section filling up when the boat turtles? Or is that inevitabel because the joint between upper and lower won't be watertight under certain cirumstances or ever) and it is therefore, much to the contrary, necessary to have a drain at the bottom of the lower section?

2. Does anybody know off hand wether it's illegal to make your own battens (or why would anybody spend 44 Euros for three narrow battens)?

You can only use class legal battens at any ILCA event. Your club may not be so strict however.
At my own club most of the fleet use replica kit and keep our official bits for opens etc. One of our radial fleet who did the worlds last year got caught out at measurement there as he accidently took his replica battens and they failed measurement.

I've never worried about the water that is in my mast after sailing, even when I don't capsize.

Back