Leaking Boat

TimClark

After a junior regatta this year, my boat got dinged up pretty badly. First, there is a 5 inch gash down to the fiber glass on the right side, a chip on the bow, and another gash (2 inches) on the bow. Also, for the first time I found water in the hole and drained it. The day after, I brought my boat to a certain anonymous fiberglass shop where they failed to fill in the gashes and they said that they did an air-pressure test on the hull to find a leak point and they said it was water tight. Now, the other day I picked up my boat where it was on a rack upside down. I noticed that there was a large amount of water in the boat, and was pretty mad. So, is there anybody that has ideas of what might be leaking? Thanks.

P.S.-I'm going to bring the boat back to the fiberglass shop and hopefully they find the leak point.

Tim Clark

I would check the hull-deck joint carefully - the fact that it picked up water upside down would suggest that's where the problem is. It doesn't take too hard of a whack to crack the filler especially in the bow area...

It's easy enough to do a soapy water test and find the leak, if it is the rails, fixing it yourself is also easy.

If you have a flush bailer, that hole normally is the culprit. That or the rail. Id get some thickend resin and put along the rail to make sure it is water tight.

nobody mentioned centerboard trunk. I think that's also a common culprit, is hard to see, and would leak water into the boat even with the hull upside down

Back