Launching in heavy winds

pierettidesign

What is the best way to launch from a dock in high winds 20knots on a laser. It's a race to get the clew strap on and the outhaul in after pushing / being blown off the dock.

What am I doing wrong or is this scramble it?

What is the best way to launch from a dock in high winds 20knots on a laser. It's a race to get the clew strap on and the outhaul in after pushing / being blown off the dock.

What am I doing wrong or is this scramble it?

It's amazing you can get the clew on at all after pushing off. Don't push off until everything is set.

Does the centerboard and rudder go on last so the boat can freely swing into the heavy wind? This way the rigging is done first as suggested

Not as much response as I would have liked...
This is a serious question as I will be sailing tomorrow in 15 mph winds gusting to 25-- Yikes!!!

I generally have to launch alone, making this process even harder. So i get the replies about having the boat fully rigged before launch. So I need to get in the boat to attach the clew and outhaul last. This will point the bow of the boat into the wind . Let the main out so the sail has room to adjust, but this is in heavy wind 20mph!!!

As soon as the clew strap is on, the boat is pretty much under sail, I can't untie myself depending on wind direction...

drop the centerboard and rudder and have someone untie me.

Anyone else see the difficulty?
But yeah, I get it. Rig the boat first and get some help. Too much to do alone in heavy winds
thx

How do you let the main out with the bow in the wind? You should be in irons, and have a slow leeward (backwards) slide away from the dock with the bow in the wind. Drop your daggerboard in, backwind the main and away you go.

You're making it more complicated than it should be.

OK, you can put the centerboard and rudder on first. When I do that, I sit on the dock with my feet in the cockpit. I also have the bow line run through a ring on the dock and I sit on the end of the line. This gives you control of the boat and your hands free to attach the clew. This a where having a hook on the outhaul is a blessing. After the clew is attached tighten vang and outhaul, grab the bow line in a spot before the ring and toss the end of the line into the cockpit, get in the cockpit, and push off. If you can't face the Laser mostly into the wind at the dock, then you can't use this method.

I would suggest

1. Lots of slack in the kicker (vang)
  2. lifting the boom onto your shoulders
  3. tighten the outhaul,
  4. Then when in the boat you pull the boom in with the main
  5. Once out, you can tighten the kicker
That way the sail has now power until you sheet in.

Nick

You can also rig the boom on the mast before stepping it (flat on the dock), its harder to step but, I think it makes it alot easier to rig when its breezy since the sail isn't flapping like crazy, you're also less likely to lose things like your clew strap/tiedown

1. Rig the boat fully on the dolly -- except leave the rudder and the centerboard attached. This means sail up, clew attached, everything.
2. Roll the boat down to the water.
3. Attach the tiller/rudder.
4. Launch the boat.
5. Put the centerboard in the centerboard trunk.
6. Sail away from the dock.

Out here where the wind blows we sometimes leave the mainsheet unrigged (off the boom) until after #3. That way the boat is easier to roll around the yard.

1. Rig the boat fully on the dolly -- except leave the rudder and the centerboard attached. This means sail up, clew attached, everything.
2. Roll the boat down to the water.
3. Attach the tiller/rudder.
4. Launch the boat.
5. Put the centerboard in the centerboard trunk.
6. Sail away from the dock.

Out here where the wind blows we sometimes leave the mainsheet unrigged (off the boom) until after #3. That way the boat is easier to roll around the yard.

Not a good idea. The boat can blow off the dolly, especially due to a shift. Have seen it happen :eek: !

I have been solo-launching my Laser Pro for a few years now. I follow this sequence:
1. Drop a temporary anchor in 3' water parallel to the club boat ramp apron (Home Depot Bucket filled with Sacrete)
With the Laser still on shore and on the Seitech Dolly and the hull resting on the dolly strap (vs. the small gunwale stands) for easy launching...
2. Close the transom plug and close the self-bailing cockpit drain
3. Slide the sail onto the assembled mast on the grass next to the boat ramp
4. Put the sail stays in place
5a. Step the mast
5b. Attach my wind vane to the mast with a waterproof bag to hold my car keys
6. Attach the boom to the gooseneck pin
7. Attach the vang assembly to the underside of the boom (keeping the vang loose until the rest of the rigging is complete)
7. Rig the Cunningham spectra line through the grommet in the sail (I have added a stainless steel spring caribiner to the end of the Cunningham spectra line that loops through the sail grommet)
8. Attach the outhaul line using a Harken Clew Hook (I love this even as an alternative to the velcro clew strap)
9a. Tighten the Cunniningham, and vang to the max to de-power the sail and reduce flapping and flailing until away from shore
9b. Run a short line with plastic brummel hooks from the micro pulley assembly at the base of the mast over the vang assembly to secure the mast to the boat in case of capsize)
10. Attach the rudder in the "up" position
11a. Put on my life vest
11b. Roll the Dolly and Laser into the water and attach the anchor (mooring) line to the bow eye.
12. Roll the Dolly back onto shore
13. In 3' of water I insert the Centerboard and run the elastic Centerboard line around the mast and through the bow eye
14. Lower the rudder and secure it into the down position with the attached line
15. Check all the rigging for correct operation
16. Check the mainsheet to insure that it is free and untangled
17. Put on my Gill gloves
18. Shove off, jump on and pray for safe clearance of the boat ramp and traffic
19. Smile and relax.

I hope this helps.

Not a good idea. The boat can blow off the dolly, especially due to a shift. Have seen it happen :eek: !

Only happens if you leave it unattended and the mainsheet on.

I rig fully apart from mainsheet (allows the rig to swing freely). When ready to launch wheel it to waters edge, attach mainsheet, launch and go sailing.

My previous post wherein I listed 19 things that I do in solo-launching is premised on the fact that I launch from shore. When launching from a dock where the wind direction and dock orientation do not allow me the option of keeping the boat "in irons" and the wind is as strong as you indicated- I do the following:
1. Because I use the Harken Clew Hook with 404 block I rig everything as I described in my previous post except for the attachment of the clew hook
2. I loosely bunch the sail to the mast (don't wrap the sail around the mast) and secure it with an elastic bungie and ball clasp
3. I launch the boat from the dock and (if necessary) hand paddle or swim it to an open patch of water and then capsize it onto its' side
4. I release the bungee, spread the sail and attach the clew hook and tighten the Cunningham and vang
5. I right the boat and climb on and take off from "irons"

Back