Lasers sailing in Indianapolis...Geist Reservoir

MSey00

I sailed on Geist all through the season last year on other 2-3 man dinghies. I would love to sail a laser this year, but I didn't see a single laser out on the line last year at all.

I understand there's a laser regatta in April on Geist, but I can't find much information. I will be at the ISC this Sunday asking questions, but thought I'd also post here to see if anyone knows anything about it.

I take out a club laser as often as I possibly can (will probably start again next week if possible), but I only know the basics of rigging and sailing the laser. Plus our club lasers don't seem to have upgraded rigging and all that good stuff.

Is there anyone out there that sails in the Indy area that would be willing to show a rookie a thing or two?

Thanks!

Re: Lasers sailing in Indianapoils...Geist Reservoir

Event Name: Laser Regatta
Event Type(s): Social Race
Event Date: April 9th and 10th Saturday/Sunday
Event Time: 1:00 PM Saturday Start (I believe)

Not sure who is the contact person...
I used to attend this event, before college, and there were anywhere from 20-70 Lasers on the line.

The event is on...I'm going to start promoting it for them. Ty Andrews, myself, my brother, and hopefully some others will find value in April tune-up/Party...We're looking in to the details now for you..

Kevin

Great info...thanks a lot!

I'll be out there tomorrow inquiring as well. I want my own boat this year, and for many reasons, I'm leaning towards buying a used laser. Only the fact that no one seems to race them on Geist anymore is holding me back...

Thanks again,
Matt

I moved over the winter to Indy. I'm trying to figure out which club is the better bet out of Geist or Eagle Creek (the size of the Laser fleet being the major consideration). Any other Laserites around Indy out there?

The combination of sun, warmth and wind we had a couple of days ago reminded me that it's time to bring my boat from Illinois.

I will certainly want to take part in this event at Geist next month.

Wayne Myers has a lot of youth laser sailors at Geist....And I'm not sure what is going on over at ISC...

I've never sailed at Eagle Creek (I've only been sailing one year), but I can say there isn't much laser action at ISC. It seems that most of the people that sailed lasers in the past have moved on to bigger boats (snipes, interlakes, thistles, M17s).

When I asked at the club they said that someone needs to take the reigns as the last fleet captain went to college and is no longer active at the club.....there's no one there to organize the fleet. I was toying with the idea of trying to get people out there to race this year, but I've since committed to crewing on a Melges (an awesome boat IMHO). Don't get me wrong, I take out the club lasers as often as possible, but I didn't see any official laser racing last year....maybe you can change that.

I would never discourage anyone from checking out the ISC. There's a ton of racing going on there. I believe the club racing starts in two weeks. Great group of people....it's my happy place :)

Wayne Myers has a lot of youth laser sailors at Geist....And I'm not sure what is going on over at ISC...

When did Wayne move over to Geist? He used to run the youth program at Eagle Creek.

MY MISTAKE!!

Wayne is at Eagle Creek...not sure where my head was that day.

INDY SPRING REGATTA IS SATURDAY!

I know myself, brother John, Ty.A, and some others will be of the attendees. Camping is allowed, and encouraged.

Make sure you make it out if you are in the market for sailing...Don't be afraid for a little bit of Driving!

Back