laser vs laserII

njshore

I am giving up catamaran sailing in favor of a smaller monohull for easier transportation, rigging, etc. Is there something I missing with the Laser II, the boat seems poorly represented? Also, with a regular laser what is the largest amount of sail available?

The laser 2 has been discontinued but the laser 2000 has replaced it.

The largest sail you can get for a laser is a Rooster 8.1 rig. this isnt a class legal rig but works perfectley on a laser.

The rooster 8.1 has its own class of its own so its sort of class legal just not within the laser class but here in the uk we have a full 8.1 racing circuit with just as good a following so its worth looking into i would say if you want more of a thrill from your laser hull

I have both Laser & Laser 2.
Laser 2 is a fab boat but as you say discontinued. It had a few issues such as the same controls set up as the original laser, so if you think the old kicker and outhaul were inadequate on a Laser 1 then next to useless (chocolate teapot/coffee pot depending on what side the Atlantic you are on) on the more powerfull L2. The symetirc spinny is huge and when everything clicks you nearly take off. There isn't much room for the crew to go wire to wire, infact there isn't much room for the crew. I have seen a few people single hand them, on the wire which looks interesting but guess you would have to have a decent amount of weight to do that.

The Rooster 8.1 is pretty fab, developed by Steve Cockerill of Rooster Sailing , its kind of an example of how good a Laser sail could be, its bigger which is very noticable down wind on the run and reaching. Upwind its better balanced, easier to manage in gusts and personaly I think the sheet loadings are a little lighter (despite it size). You dont get that annoying leach flutter between the upper battens neither. There have been some mention of whether or not the mast tube on the hull can take the extra loading but there doesn't seem any evidence either way at the moment.
Think you can get sail and the insert you need to make the mast a little longer for less than a class legal sail. There is a follwoing, however its not huge. It has its own handicap which is 1053 compare to the standard 1080 so can be raced in handicap fleets.

I have two lasers and a laser 2.

One laser was my boat that I got since I turned 16, it now has a radial rig that my wife sails, and I also loan it out to close friends.

My second laser hull was my brothers boat before he passed. Its newer and its become my race hull.

The Laser 2 lives on the beach, I used it to teach the Mrs. how to sail, and my close friend is using it to teach his girlfriend how to sail as well. its a fun boat, I can single hand it but theres no solid class following so we really don't race it.

moving from a Cat to a Laser 2 or Laser you will find it very slow an somewhat boring. I have had all three, the Laser 2 is not terribly well built and suffers deck delamination and is more of a kids/youth boat. There are much better double handers out there that are more sophisticated and modern not to mention faster.

A Laser is great if you want to race or go out on your own in heavy winds. For thrills and speed or to take a friend I use my cat. My Cat can be sailed solo and I will choose that over the Laser on days with 10-15knots

moving from a Cat to a Laser 2 or Laser you will find it very slow an somewhat boring. I have had all three, the Laser 2 is not terribly well built and suffers deck delamination and is more of a kids/youth boat. There are much better double handers out there that are more sophisticated and modern not to mention faster.

A Laser is great if you want to race or go out on your own in heavy winds. For thrills and speed or to take a friend I use my cat. My Cat can be sailed solo and I will choose that over the Laser on days with 10-15knots

I've always been told that the Laser 2 was a fast boat (for a monohull), but only kids had reflexes fast enough to sail them.

I've always been told that the Laser 2 was a fast boat (for a monohull), but only kids had reflexes fast enough to sail them.

2010 Portsmouth ratings

49er 68.2
505 79.8
29er 84.5
Fireball 85.6
470 86.3
Albacore 90.3
Wayfarer 91.6
Laser 91.1
Laser 2 92.8
420 97.6

Maybe fast for kids but not for me