laser vs. laser radial

unclemoisty

I'm a 145 lb., 5ft. 6 inch male in great shape, not interested in racing or going upwind, just reaching/bombing in 15-25 mph wind (or more!) The radial is right for me on paper but I prefer more power on the reach and don't mind being on the edge. Never sailed a Laser. My old Force 5 with 90 square feet was too much. Will a standard laser be too much on a reach on screeching days?

I'm a 145 lb., 5ft. 6 inch male in great shape, not interested in racing or going upwind, just reaching/bombing in 15-25 mph wind (or more!) The radial is right for me on paper but I prefer more power on the reach and don't mind being on the edge. Never sailed a Laser. My old Force 5 with 90 square feet was too much. Will a standard laser be too much on a reach on screeching days?
radial.

You are about 25 pounds shy of the low-end ideal Laser standard weight, and spot on for the radial. In 15-25 mph winds, a radial will give you all the excitement you crave, and more. The main thing to say in favor of a standard rig is that it will give you lots of excitement in lighter winds. But you'll be overpowered in heavier winds. I suggest that you go with a radial, and then after a while if that seems too tame you move up. It just takes a new sail and a lower mast section.

You are about 25 pounds shy of the low-end ideal Laser standard weight, and spot on for the radial. In 15-25 mph winds, a radial will give you all the excitement you crave, and more. The main thing to say in favor of a standard rig is that it will give you lots of excitement in lighter winds. But you'll be overpowered in heavier winds. I suggest that you go with a radial, and then after a while if that seems too tame you move up. It just takes a new sail and a lower mast section.

You can go with a practice sail from Intensity sails and their lower mast section,
and one of the forums sponsors.

Thanks people for your help. One more follow up line. How will the radial compare to a sunfish in heavy wind? Which is faster?

I believe its the radial that's faster in heavy wind because I've heard that Sunfish don't plane.

The Laser Radial may be a bit faster and point a bit better upwind. Off-wind, not much difference. And a Sunfish will plane just as well.

According to the Portsmouth handicap system, a Laser Radial is about 3% faster than a Sunfish (avg Portsmouth number Laser Radial = 96.7 and Sunfish = 99.6). This difference holds in heavy winds. But a Sunfish won't death roll.....

Back