laser video

keiran searle AUS

what is the posibility of a laser class video being made i have just downloaded the contender video it is wonderfull it shows the contender at its best & worst with tacks jybes & capsizes mabe we should do a laser video like that at the nxt worlds for each rig as i think it is such a great premotion tool ( the contender video almost makes me buy 1) cya

Hi,
I remember, that there are already videos from Lasersailing. At the Email-list of ILCA-NA, some time ago, some racers talked about it. (I think one was a former ILCA-NA officer drLaser has a dispute with. Sorry, but I forgot his name).Investigate there, I´m sure, it is to find at that list somewhere, although it´ll need a bit time.
And someone from the UK (also a member of this Forum; Sorry I also forgot his name) produces allready videos from sailing, I´m not sure but maybe also from Lasersailing.
Ciao
LooserLu

keiran searle AUS said:
what is the posibility of a laser class video being made i have just downloaded the contender video it is wonderfull it shows the contender at its best & worst with tacks jybes & capsizes mabe we should do a laser video like that at the nxt worlds for each rig as i think it is such a great premotion tool ( the contender video almost makes me buy 1) cya

Was it a bunch of guys having fun with a digital movie camera, or is it professionally made?

Janet

Hi,

The Laser videos I am aware of are the Laser Coach 2000 CD (includes footage of Robert Scheidt), Ben Ainslies book CD and Steve Cockerill's Rooster Single-handed Sailing Techniques CD. All are pretty useful and show the boat off well. They are not what Keiran is suggesting though, as a promotional tool for the class.

Clive.

Hi again,
I needed some time, sorry. But while working in the garden pretty hard in the fresh air, I remembered that videos.

On following link, you find an advertizing for a disc, a former ILCA-NA president named Ryan E. Minth (It´s the one, drLaser "has closed in his heart", if you understand what I mean... ;)) advertizes for, here at TLF:

http://www.laserforum.org/showthread.php?t=846

It could be, like what Janet/Merrily said: a bit like a home movie on DVD, but I´m not sure. I´ve not seen that disc. Maybe SFBayLaser can say something to it.

The following thread, belongs to that DVD´s, what Clive told us. There, at that thread at relpy No. 6, you also find the link to "saildisc". Will must have been something like moderator of this forum (over 300 reply´s at TLF). Unfortunately, he is away, but it seems he and his team make professional sailing-discs also in the presence/future.
My Idea is, that he/saildisc probably can make an advertizing-video for the Laserclass. I´m not sure to ask him. This should do an official-Laserite from UKLA or one from the ILCA.

Here is the link to that thread:

http://www.laserforum.org/showthread.php?t=1046

Ciao
LooserLu

What are your thoughts??????

Which of the following is best/most advanced? Laser Campaign Manual(cd/book), rooster sailing training cd rom, Laser coach 2000 cd rom,(do these include the new, or old rigging?) Is the laser book 4th edition by tim davidson any good?

i am in search of something modern and up to date(with laser standards), please give your opinions on any of the instuctional items..

hi kevin i have all three of these as well as the complete book of laser sailing by dick tillman, the complete introduction to laser racing with bits & peices from all different people including rod dawson nick adamson gary slater angela calder takao otani steve cockerill jacqueline ellis & michael blackburn it is also edited by ben tan & the pictures are of stanley tan ( i had a oppertunity to meet stan at nationals he looks a bit different to in the book hahah) i also have michael blackburns book sail fitter www.sailfitter.com ,http://www.sailfitter.com/basshome.html micheal has decided to cross the netorious bass streight and he did it in his laser without capsizing once thats skill i think that lsaer coach 200 cd & the complete introduction to laser racing are the best they only contain the old rigging i have not found a book with the new rigging yet i dont like the rooster cd ( no offence steve) but i think it is c#ap but thats just my opinion

Back in 1996 or 1997 a laser video was shot by the US national team in Corpus Christi and San Francisco (15+ knots). Robert Schiedt, Hammish Pepper, and Nik Burfoot are in it (1st, 4th, and 2nd respectively at the 1995 laser worlds). They use the old style rigging so its kind of a different style of laser sailing, but the body motions are still basically the same. I think the NA laser class or Fred Schroth own the rights to the video.

Re: What are your thoughts??????

I think that by far the best book that I have seen is
The Complete Introduction to Laser Racing by Ben Tan
http://www.roostersailing.com/merch...ode=1&Product_Code=lbible&Category_Code=books

Despite it's name (introduction) it is far from basic. It has everything.
a "laser bible" I would say. Good for both beginners and advanced.
Laser Coach 2000 is also good although the video quality is not that
great. (small) Tim davidsons 4th edition is nice and polished and it includes new radial portion by Stephen Cockeril but Ben Tan's book is still
better over all if you are getting only one of them.

lasersailorvbc said:
Which of the following is best/most advanced? Laser Campaign Manual(cd/book), rooster sailing training cd rom, Laser coach 2000 cd rom,(do these include the new, or old rigging?) Is the laser book 4th edition by tim davidson any good?

i am in search of something modern and up to date(with laser standards), please give your opinions on any of the instuctional items..

keiran searle AUS said:
i dont like the rooster cd
Does the Rooster CD show Europe dinghies in some of the video? I'm still trying to learn to get under that boom.

Merrily

No, it does not. I have seen some good sailors do it backwards. head towards the stern. In any case Laser radial is the future for ladies not e-dinghy

Merrily said:
Does the Rooster CD show Europe dinghies in some of the video? I'm still trying to learn to get under that boom.

Merrily

Back