Laser types

cl8n

Hey this may sound like a dumb question but what are the differences between a Laser and Laser Pro. Besides the cost. Thanks for your help.

the Laser pro has the new style rigging, and Laser has the old

There will be 3 versions this year...

Laser Classic: Rope set, gorilla tiller, Holt ratchet block, padded toe-strap, self bailer, silver spar.

Laser Race: Holt XD powerpack, Holt XD vang, gorilla tiller and extension, rolled sail, Holt performance ratchet, padded toe strap.

Laser XD: New XD Harken vang system, XD Harken powerpack system, XD carbon tiller, Carbon tiller extensions, Ronson mainsheet, rolled sail, XD padded toe-strap, Ronson ratchet block with Harken Mega spring, Vectran V12 traveller, Mega bolt, Vectran V12 rudder downhaul, self bailer.

Laser XD: New XD Harken vang system, XD Harken powerpack system, XD carbon tiller, Carbon tiller extensions, Ronson mainsheet, rolled sail, XD padded toe-strap, Ronson ratchet block with Harken Mega spring, Vectran V12 traveller, Mega bolt, Vectran V12 rudder downhaul, self bailer.

What's a "Mega bolt"? And what kind of ratchet block is a Ronson? Does this mean I can light my cigarette using my ratchet block now?*

And...Ronson (obviously Ronstan) makes mainsheets now, I assume this will be the dinghy sheet or racing sheet sold by FSE/Robline?

Also, nice to see that rolled sails will be available now.

*I am not actually a smoker. This question was a joke, obviously.

Laser Classic: Rope set, gorilla tiller, Holt ratchet block, padded toe-strap, self bailer, silver spar.

Laser Race: Holt XD powerpack, Holt XD vang, gorilla tiller and extension, rolled sail, Holt performance ratchet, padded toe strap.

Ain't one-design sailing grand?

What's a "Mega bolt"? And what kind of ratchet block is a Ronson? Does this mean I can light my cigarette using my ratchet block now?*
And...Ronson (obviously Ronstan) makes mainsheets now, I assume this will be the dinghy sheet or racing sheet sold by FSE/Robline?
Also, nice to see that rolled sails will be available now.
*I am not actually a smoker. This question was a joke, obviously.

Hey I just copied and pasted it....maybe they spell differently in the UK, they sure do speak funny :eek:

The "megabolt" is a beefier pivot bolt in the rudder head.

The "ronson" mainsheet block in what used to be a fredricksen block that is now made by Ronstan who purchased Fredricksen.

The mainsheet will be Sheetline by Southern Ropes.

Um let's see. Stubborn, Independent, usually good looking, Can be a bit of a loner, (or maverick for the romantics). Usually their car is filled with strange, funky smells.....

What have I missed?

I think you just described every dinghy sailor out there

There is only one true dingy sailor out there. The Laser Sailor. Everything else is just a substitute. :cool:

Ok. I'll give a pass to Finn, Moth and International Canoe sailors. Much respect to those folks.

Um let's see. Stubborn, Independent, usually good looking, Can be a bit of a loner, (or maverick for the romantics). Usually their car is filled with strange, funky smells.....

What have I missed?

Cant forget the van with a mattress in the back, foulies all over the place, clothes, wet clothes, random boat parts, sheets over the windows to keep light out and alittle privacy, and half empty water bottles.

Not that thats me after a week long regatta ;)

So is all this class legal with all the new fancy stuff?

Hi "captainJack987",
at the last three replies, you did edit in the past at TLF, you only asked that question (or similar) above - f.e. related to a reply of me in another thread, too. J just friendly try, at this moment, to ask a question to you: What is your real intention, you allways only ask, at nearly every thread that you enter in the sooner past, only this above?

Related to the headline of this thread and the informations of TLF member "The Boathouse", a very experienced Laserite and also owner of a store sailing goods and boats, he is correct, I say. I live on continent Europe. There, since years, the common versions of the Laser are: "Classic", "XD", "G-XD". They are produced and delivered from the licensed shipyard "LaserPerfomance" (former known as Performance Sailcraft Europe Ltd.) totally legal to the actual ILCA/ISAF - class rules for the Laser to the licensed boat stores. So, for me, your question:
here at this thread is a riddle...

LooserLu

. So, for me, your question:
here at this thread is a riddle...

LooserLu

Good catch, Lu. The "fancy stuff" is indeed legal. CJ, are you attempting some sort of editorial comment? What do you mean by this? Is it disbelief that the equipment is legal, or disbelief in the knowledge of our posters? All aren't correct with their information here, but it usually gets sorted out in the end. If you want to argue that the equipment shouldn't be legal, there's a Laser Politics section where people love to grapple with this stuff.

Back