Laser trailer reviews

From what I have seen around regattas in the northeast, the Seitech roll-off trailer set-up is the best (although it is expensive). You just install it on a standard small road trailer (with or without the additional rack shown in the photo below).

trailer14.jpg

Interesting. But how do you keep the back of dolly from sliding around on the trailer and the front of the dolly attached to the trailer?

lcrt.jpg

It is hard to describe but ever so easy in practice. The rear bar is a roller so the trolley is pulled onto it. Typically a hook is welded onto each arm of the trolley and these hook on to the roller. The front then clips down onto a sort of eyebolt behind the tow hitch. (There are a variety of fixings commonly employed). Thus the trolley is locked to the base and the boat is strapped to the base for additional security. I have never heard of an accident caused by a failure of the mating system rather than the tying down of the boat.
In 30 odd years of vaguely competitive sailing in the UK I have hardly seen a regular circuit sailor that trails their boat not use some sort of combi trailer/trolley system similar to that described. The base fo any dinghy larger than a Laser is normally an 'A' frame rather than this modified 'T' frame.

Hmmm. I have an old British trolley that came over to the US with my 1989 British boat. I wonder if this:
2639a.jpg

Is the modern version of my galvanized trolley? Mine has the eye in the front for locking to a trailer, and a similar gunwale support system, but the design of the frame is different:

IMG_4067.jpg

Hmmm. I have an old British trolley that came over to the US with my 1989 British boat. I wonder if this:
2639a.jpg

Is the modern version of my galvanized trolley? Mine has the eye in the front for locking to a trailer, and a similar gunwale support system, but the design of the frame is different:

IMG_4067.jpg

Looks like the same as my UK trolley (that goes with the UK trailer I also got). There is a small tang projecting forwards horizontally (flat face horizontal as well) with a slot cut in it. When the trolley is in position and in the hooks just in front of the rollers on the trailer, the trolley is lowered and the tang fits over another vertical tang on the trailer (vertical tang has a hole and you then put a pin through which holds the trolley on the trailer.

My only negative with the UK trailer trolley combination is that until you are used to it it is quite easy to bash the boat bottom/stern on the ground whilst getting the trolley/boat on/off the trailer. Once used to it you are aware of what to lift and how high so its not an issue (guess I'll polish out the scratches some time - maybe in a few years).

Ian

EDIT: Also, there is very little clearance between the boat and the trolley across the axle thing. It is covered with rubber so not a major issue but a couple of thickness's of cover is the gap - so putting on the undercover alone is a knack you have to get the hang of. No idea if boat and trailer touch there when you e.g. cross railway tracks (and I'm in the car then). Nice thing is that everything is low on the road. The trailer/trolley/boat it not massively high so does not obstruct your rear vision and it very stable.

2639a.jpg

IMG_4067.jpg
Almost certainly - over the years PSE UK (and others) have supplied similar trolleys from a variety of manufacturers. They pretty much all fit on the same road bases, which again have been, produced by a variety of manufacturers however, with only minor adjustment, most trolleys are compatible with most bases.

Looks like the same as my UK trolley (that goes with the UK trailer I also got). There is a small tang projecting forwards horizontally (flat face horizontal as well) with a slot cut in it. When the trolley is in position and in the hooks just in front of the rollers on the trailer, the trolley is lowered and the tang fits over another vertical tang on the trailer (vertical tang has a hole and you then put a pin through which holds the trolley on the trailer.

My only negative with the UK trailer trolley combination is that until you are used to it it is quite easy to bash the boat bottom/stern on the ground whilst getting the trolley/boat on/off the trailer. Once used to it you are aware of what to lift and how high so its not an issue (guess I'll polish out the scratches some time - maybe in a few years).

Ian

EDIT: Also, there is very little clearance between the boat and the trolley across the axle thing. It is covered with rubber so not a major issue but a couple of thickness's of cover is the gap - so putting on the undercover alone is a knack you have to get the hang of. No idea if boat and trailer touch there when you e.g. cross railway tracks (and I'm in the car then). Nice thing is that everything is low on the road. The trailer/trolley/boat it not massively high so does not obstruct your rear vision and it very stable.

Thanks. Do you mean that your trolley is the same as mine, or the same as the newer one?
Also, it looks like the trailer in the Admiral Travel Pack as it is called doesn't have any suspension. Is that correct? If I were somehow able to get this trailer, will it fit my older British dolly?

admiralpack.jpg

By the way, the technique I have seen used to load the dolly/boat onto the Seitech version of roll-off trailer is to lift the front of the dolly onto the trailer (there is a track that receives the front piece of the Seitech dolly), and then go around to the stern of the boat and lift/slide the dolly the rest of the way onto the trailer. That way there is no chance of scratching the stern of the boat.

Also, it looks like the trailer in the Admiral Travel Pack as it is called doesn't have any suspension. Is that correct? If I were somehow able to get this trailer, will it fit my older British dolly?

admiralpack.jpg

I bet your trolley would either fit or be easily adjusted to fit this trailer. The roadbase element has indespension units that provide excellent suspension. The boat cannot move enough to hit the rubber and as another poster pointed out keeping the whole thing low is the key to easy and frugal trailing. (though I have a double stacker so even with only one boat on the lower deck the windage is increased). As for scraping the transom most of us only do it once! As a precaution I ususally lay the undercover on the ground at the vital point just in case.

PS I guess shipping costs would be prohibitive but a set of detailed pictures and key dimensions and I guess any shop could knock out a reasonable copy. My 'second' roadbase was adapted from a standard 'A' frame trailer and is painted not galvanised - of course this bit of it never goes in the water so lack of galvanising doesn't present a problem!

I had no idea what "indespension units" were, but Google led me to their website. It looks like they are some kind of trailing arm suspension system with a torsional spring providing the resilient support. Am I right?

SU003-Small.jpg

admiralpack.jpg

I bet your trolley would either fit or be easily adjusted to fit this trailer. The roadbase element has indespension units that provide excellent suspension. The boat cannot move enough to hit the rubber

That is reassuring. In practice it only bounces around on really big pot-holes and crossing railway tracks and I guess it would probably mean the boat and trailer bending and even if it did its protected by rubber anyway.

I suspect the gunwale supports of mine are very slightly too far apart as the boat tends to naturally sit partially raised. Both supports are in the gunwale just one sits up a bit. However, tying down results in no movement so I assume it pulls down decently and no damage to boat trailing so far (and it's done a fair distance (hour each way to one of local lakes, UK to France, etc.)

Ian

I had no idea what "indespension units" were, but Google led me to their website. It looks like they are some kind of trailing arm suspension system with a torsional spring providing the resilient support. Am I right?

SU003-Small.jpg

Yep - they come with different weight ratings depending on projected load.

I'd be interested in thought re: Laser trailers, Kitty Hawk v. Trailex v. other. I want to save my back.
j
I use a galvanized Kitty Hawk. The boat is strapped down to the gunwale supports and doesn't move or bounce. I put 12" wheels on so that it rides smoother on the highway. It weighs 100 lbs and the whole thing goes down the ramp as a dolly. On steep ramps it takes a little muscle to get back up but not bad. If you're in sand it's a bit heavy for the narrow tires.

From what I have seen around regattas in the northeast, the Seitech roll-off trailer set-up is the best (although it is expensive). You just install it on a standard small road trailer (with or without the additional rack shown in the photo below).

I see the picture on their website, but what configuration is that? I don't see a listing for the roll-on/off config anywhere.

Back