Laser towing in cold weather

Kris Styes

I recently sold my Laser. Sad day for me, but injury forced the sale.

The new owner of my Laser plans on towing the Laser from Kansas to WI. It’s winter and I concerned about the new owner towing the Laser in frigid temperatures, especially “wind chill” temperatures.

I need as much advice as anyone has about this issue. While I don’t have any liability with the new owner towing the Laser in the winter, I do have a moral responsibility to myself to address this issue.

Give me your thoughts so I can forward them on to the new owner.

Thanks in advance,

Kris

Can you explain where your concern is focused ?
If it's the fiberglass, not an issue - something impacting the hull and causing damge at 10F would also cause damage at 70F

Windchill is not an issue with inanimate objects, ie if it's 10F , that is as cold as the object will get. (The only effect is how fast the object gets to that temp)

Trailer bearings - colder is better... Tires - adjust to recommended pressure or a few lbs under and re-check if high speed towing for more then 30 minutes..

49208:

Thanks. I want to gain as much info. on fiberglass at wind chill temperatures.

Does anyone have infor. at 30-40 below?

Thanks again,

Kris

The two biggest dangers to a Laser getting towed in cold weather are cars sliding into the Laser or the person towing the Laser sliding into something.

Lasers have been subjected to far more cold than a boat getting towed to Wisconsin from Kansas. Highs in the 30's this weekend in the midwest, not that bad.

49208:

Thanks. I want to gain as much info. on fiberglass at wind chill temperatures.

Does anyone have infor. at 30-40 below?

Thanks again,

Kris

Hi Kris,

Read what 49208 said again about wind chill... it does NOT apply to the Laser. If it's 10 degrees outside, the Laser will be at 10 degrees. If there is a 150mph wind and the wind chill is 50 below, the Laser will still be at 10 degrees.

I recently sold my Laser. Sad day for me, but injury forced the sale.

The new owner of my Laser plans on towing the Laser from Kansas to WI. It’s winter and I concerned about the new owner towing the Laser in frigid temperatures, especially “wind chill” temperatures.

I need as much advice as anyone has about this issue. While I don’t have any liability with the new owner towing the Laser in the winter, I do have a moral responsibility to myself to address this issue.

Give me your thoughts so I can forward them on to the new owner.

Thanks in advance,

Kris

we have just had the coldest winter for years in england the only problem we had was the grease frose on the tow bar and we had to defrost it using a hair dryer and the hubs thawed themselfs out after a good yank then blasting them down the motarway.

Back