Laser Speed

TNT

I've been sailing Laser just for a few years. Still I haven't got the chance to take a GPS with me, to afraid to loose it I think. Has anybody any idea how fast you can go? I know I can get up to 8 or 9 kts, after that it's going so fast I can't guess anymore :D.

Hello TNT,
The fastest recorded I have heard about was 19.4 knots by Michael Blackburn while sailing 119 or so nautical miles across the Bass strait's downwind in big waves this April. I doubt mere mortals like us come close to that speed.
There's a link somewhere on the forum or you could google Michael Blackburn and get the link and the story from his web site.
Regards,
Fishingmickey
181157/150087

Do you think Michaels 19.4 knots would have been true "through the water " speed ? I'm thinking that if it was recorded with a GPS then its will be relative to the land, and maybe if he was surfing on fast moving swell which was moving at (say) 10 knots, his speed relative to the water would be 9.4 knots and might not seem as fast as say reaching at 10 knots across relatively still water.
Not trying to take anything away from his fantastic achievement, just wondering if there's ever any distinction made between speed relative to water and land.

Dude, water doesn't move sideways when waves move through it... just up and down. Throw anything that floats to the water and look waves pass under it, you'll see the point.
(Of course water moves if there are currents and so...)

Of course you're right - I just flunked Physics 001. I'll just put the big D hat on and sit in the corner....

Back