Laser scratched up

ems3796

Hello laser sailors,

I am new to the forum, but a long time laser sailor. Today, I was pulling my boat up a ramp at low tide, i slipped on the slick metal and my boat fell off the dolly, scraping on the ramp all the way down :(. Does anyone have any recommendations to make my laser's bottom as good as new?

P.S. I am usually VERY careful with my laser, always making sure that the hull stays shiny. I was distraught after it happened, ignoring my twisted ankle to go and make sure my boat was ok.

Condolences.

How deep are the scratches? Any damage to the fiberglass under the gel coat? Can you show us pix?

I can appreciate your feelings - I was pretty paranoid when I first got my current boat new. However, after time I got to the point where I realised that mine was actually identical to everybody else's - not special. It was a bit of "kit" that was used for sport and as such accidents happen and it gets worn a bit. I got to appreciate it would stay really beautiful (just like the ones at the factory) if I left it at home in the garage but I got it to be used and the one thing you can guarantee is that it will suffer scratches, etc.

That is not to say I don't look after it - it gets hosed down every time after use, sponged-off and left open to dry (if appropriate), etc. the mast step gets sponged out after every day's sailing (to get any grit out) etc., etc.

I can appreciate you being upset (and I would be as well) - but it is repairable. Maybe DIY, maybe professional (depends on your skills and the damage and your insurance).

Ian

Back