Laser sailing tactics

Ladiej

I need help with my sailing tactics, I dont have any. I know to stay in clean air and to stay on the best tack longer but when I get in big boat fleets or even small boat fleets I fall off slowly. I never know when to tack and I never know fastest way to the upwind mark. Can any one help me out. and Is there any books or DVDs that may help me out. I need help fast.

I'm in pretty much the same situation. Sadly, the answer is Race More.

I need help with my sailing tactics, I dont have any. I know to stay in clean air and to stay on the best tack longer but when I get in big boat fleets or even small boat fleets I fall off slowly. I never know when to tack and I never know fastest way to the upwind mark. Can any one help me out. and Is there any books or DVDs that may help me out. I need help fast.

I'm not exactly at the front of the pack myself, however, I found that the Rooster "Boat whisperer" DVDs gave me a greater understanding of what I might be doing wrong,

Nigel

Getting out there and racing is best way to learn. If you really are too far back to see what is happening in the bunch try and get on the committee boat or a safety boat for the day so you can watch whats going on, especially helpful if the guys on the boat with you are experienced racers so can explain why someone has taken a particular route/action.

Taking part and watching the good guys will help lots.

One of my favorite books is North U's Performance Racing Tactics.

As far as racing goes, make sure to get out to the course early and notice wind and current patterns. Before the start create a game plan for the start and first beat. Don't worry too much if it's right--just be flexible and if you notice the boats on the other side of the course are gaining, figure out why and if you'll get the same benefit by tacking.

Back