Laser sailing is bad for the hands

Sailorchick

Sat at my desk today with the most disgusting hands. After 8 days of competitive sailing in strong winds last week my hands were a bit sore and worn. I don't wear gloves and my hands are usually fine but got rope burn on the insides of my fingers which is a new one for me!

Hands were healing nicely but have now got to the stage where they just want to shed skin no matter how much I moisturise, yuck! The things you don't realise about sailing hey!

hola.

I admire you!! But...why would you not wear sailing gloves?.. there are so many styles and fabrics and colors!! you can surely find a pair to suit you. I ALWAYS wear gloves (I also crew on a big boat so gloves are the norm). I get dry hands from my pottery, for some odd reason throwing on a wheel really sucks the moisture out of my hands....I have found that these people have the best hand creams, etc. (works for me) http://www.burtsbees.com/

good luck

Antolin

The Atlas gloves are simply gardening gloves. Go to your local hardware or landscaping store and buy the similar gardening gloves. You'll spend $5 or $6 USD instead of $30.

I'm another no glove person, also no mainsheet cleats and a 6mm mainsheet. I actually find rock climbing is much tougher on my hands, particularly because of the use of chalk.

Lasernut would be happy to hear that giving massages is a great way to restore the moisture to the skin of your hands, whilst also strengthening them.

Gave up on gloves years ago. Better grip and feel and hands actually stay warmer in winters. My hands are usually fine but I think 8 days of strong winds and racing (Nationals followed by Swanage regatta) was just too much for them.

Sure lasernut will love that tip :)

The rest of me was pretty much fine, muscles working still. Some fairly impressive bruises on my legs and a great big lump on my head (headbutting the boom 3 days in a row is not a good idea - the headache lasted 2 days after the last hit).

Back