Laser Rack

Kris

I am looking for designs/plans for a vertical Laser Rack for our yacht club. Do you know of any resourses?

Racks revisited?

I just received permission by the communtiy I live in to put some racks down at the local beach for my junior sailors. Does any one have any pictures or suggestions? I have seen the vertical racks, where the boats are stored 3-up, 2 sides, right side up. Are there any other designs out there?

Pros?
Cons?

Thanks for any help.

Hi Doug - SEITECH Products, the company that makes the dollies which most of you probably use, also designs rack systems to fit all types of small boats in many different configurations for multi-boat storage and transportation on trailers. We have previously designed a vertical Laser rack which could possibly meet your needs. Check out http://www.seitech.com or contact us at [email protected] to learn about our rack systems.
Janet Keefe
Product Manager
Seitech Products

ive only seen lasers stored in the tree style rack, with two sides and 3 boats on each. although the top rack can be hard to to. i have seem optis stored vertically with padding on the back to protect it

I'd love to see a blueprint for a vertical rack too, just seems so much easier to manage than horizontal. one person can load and unload a boat onto a dolly or dock so easiliy.

I guess I was thinking horizontal boats on a vertical rack but I like the idea of vertical boats on a horizontal rack. I think providing good hull support would be more difficult however.

Here are some concept drawings. Any ideas/feedback? Thanks.

Attachments

• rack3_side.gif
    rack3_side.gif
    8.2 KB · Views: 182
  • rack3.gif
    rack3.gif
    9.5 KB · Views: 146
If you want to store the mast-pieces and booms in the lockers, you will need to make longer ones (if I understand it correctly these are for a public beach?). I would suggest to rotate the lockers and have the access at the very end of the boats, not on the side.
Storing boats upside down is apparently better for the hull (and it might be easier to build a rack that is flat, instead of one for the round hull).

Good luck!

Gerard

From the end would be great for storing the spars inside but the box would have to be the same length as the boats to be able to reach them. Unless I did it just off the back end.

Instead of storing the lasers right side up, make slots 2ft wide and store the boats on their sides. You'll fit a lot more boats in, plus lasers like being stored on their sides and they can still be put away easily by one person without having to lift a boat to higher levels. Put your lockers, spar storage, etc above the lasers.

See cheesy illustration. This was built at a club in western NY and it includes a 15 ft ramp on the front going right into the water for ease of launching.

Attachments

• laserrack.gif
    laserrack.gif
    31.6 KB · Views: 175
How do you support the boat? If all of the weight is at one point on the gunwale, it seem like it would put a lot of stress on the boat. Also, how do you get the boat in/out? Do you just slide it on its side? Is the bottom carpeted?

No support needed... Laser gunwhales are extremely rigid and lasers have been stored like this for years without any problems. Yes, the complete deck is carpeted for sliding the boat around on.

Back