Laser questions

Hey everyone. This will be my 1st year of laser sailing. I am 15, 131 LBS and 5,8 that means that I will have to race radials right? I am going to need my own boat so I can take silver learn to race program this summer. Thats were I need your guys help. Up here Lasers go fast and they cost a bit more too. In sliver I heard that your boat gets beat up a bit so I am think I might get a $1000 laser put a radial rig on it with a intensity sail and mabey buy the upgrades too or should I get a $4000 one with everything I need but the boat might get beat up and I will lose a lot of cash selling it. Does the old hull make the boat speed go down by that much? Do you think the Upgrades are worth it? Which boat do you think is the better deal or should I go for something in the middle?

Thanks for any help.

definatley get a radial cause you are only going to grow, upgrades are definatley worth it, and if you are going to have the boat along time get the newer boat and if not get the old one.

Karma said:
or should I get a $4000 one with everything I need but the boat might get beat up and I will lose a lot of cash selling it.
If you have access to the 4k, and the boat is in perfect condition, this will be your best deal. Just appreciate what you have and do your best to take care of it. Yes, bumps here and there will likely happen in Laser sailing, but remember, to play the game by the rules, it is supposed to be a non-contact sport.
Karma said:
Does the old hull make the boat speed go down by that much?
If it's stiff, and more importantly light then it should not slow you down. Get a couple bathroom scales and weigh the old boat. I just found that mine is over 160lbs... not good considering the newer ones are closer to 130.
Karma said:
Do you think the Upgrades are worth it?
yes, they are, but your more expensive boat better come with them.
They won't make the boat go faster simply by putting them on, they will allow you to trim more efficiently, which will probably allow you to be faster.

Steve_Landeau said:
Get a couple bathroom scales and weigh the old boat. I just found that mine is over 160lbs... not good considering the newer ones are closer to 130.

Does this really work? One under the bow and one under the stern I presume, then add the two numbers together? I've always assumed that using two scales would somehow alter the displayed weight in that a block reduces pwer on a line, but this may just be due to my appalling mis-understanding of physics...

if the boat gets beaten up it will be your own fault for the most part. Buy the new one. Bite the bullet and have a faster boat.

Back