Laser Paint Job

CaleDeLong

Hey,

I have a mid-80's laser in bad need of a paint job! I was wondering if anyone could help me out with what kind of paints to use? The boat is not worth much and I am not interested in reselling so I want to give it a wild paint job! Something like you would see on old fighter jets with the sharks mouth on the bow and maybe flames or lightning bolts on the rest of the boat? If you can find any pictures of an"out-of-the-ordinary" paint job on a boat email them to [email protected] or post a link on this thread. Thanks for reading and if at all possible help me out!

Attachments

• Sailboat_005.JPG
    Sailboat_005.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 49
I like that idea I've used perfection by interlux on other boats before and had good results. You should paint the entire hull battle ship grey and then go crazy with graphics.

Good Idea, I was wondering, since I am no artist myself, if I should just body shop the boat? It would probably be fairly expensive though.. any estimates of a price from anyone?

hi i think what you shuld do is have the hull bright orange with black claw stripes like a tiger or how about a black hull with thousands of little white dots or an optical ollusion.

I used an interlux two part polyurethane to refinish my boat-It was in similar shape-an early 80's boat that a tree fell on it in hurricane fran. I repaired it and sanded my gelcoat then applied the proper primer followed by the two part polyurethane. I did not use a sprayer but rolled with a roller and then feathered the edge with a brush-the so called roll and tip method. This is described in International Marines Book Sailboat Refinishing by Don Casey. I was satisfied with the job-certainly not yacht quality like a sprayed on awlgrip finish but satisfactory. I used a darker color on my boat and it has held up for two seasons.

Thanks mpb, perfect advice. Halfjack that is exactly what i was thinking, the face and then flames on the rest of the boat.

Back