Laser or Nacra - Help!

rick3000

dn ǝpıs sıɥʇ
Hi Everyone,

I have had my Laser for the last three years and love it. I recently moved away from the coast, and left my Laser in a storage unit. I am now presented with a tough decision.
Do I sell it or bring it with me? The laser fleet in my new area (inland state) is smaller and only meets once a week. So I am wondering wether I should bring it here and enjoy it once a week and have to store it in the winter, or if I should sell it and get a Nacra cat that I can use with my friends since there is little racing here.
My dad is pushing for a 17' Nacra because he loves cats and then we could sail together, but really enjoy the Laser.

What would you guys do? Has anyone sailed a Nacra?
Thanks! :)

I love my Laser, but the NACRA F-17 is an awesome machine for single-handing. If I could afford the purchase, and storage, costs I'd get one (although I doubt I would get rid of my 15 year-old Laser).

Cheers,

Geoff S.

Are you also asking this question on the Nacra forum?

Wouldn't you have to store it in the winter also?

The only point in buying a Laser is to race against other Lasers. If you just want to blast around the lake or ocean by yourself, there are easier faster funner choices.

PS - if there's no Nacra racing, I doubt you'd sail the cat more than once a week, after the first month or so and the novelty wore off.

I love my Laser, but there's nothing like the speed and adrenaline like a fast cat that you sail regularly with your friends, especially a Nacra...

I love my Laser, but there's nothing like the speed and adrenaline like a fast cat that you sail regularly with your friends, especially a Nacra...

No doubt. However, there is nothing like the feeling of single handing a cat being fully trapped out and FLYING to weather with the weather hull just starting to skim across the top of the water. It'll make ya holla'

The only correct answer to this dilemma is so obvious I can't believe no one has posted the only viable solution yet.
Get your Laser shipped pronto and instruct your Father to purchase the Nacra - sorted!

The only correct answer to this dilemma is so obvious I can't believe no one has posted the only viable solution yet.
Get your Laser shipped pronto and instruct your Father to purchase the Nacra - sorted!

i like this idea. best of both worlds. what about a 29er? they look like fun.

I think you will find that racing your Laser is going to be more rewarding...even just once a week. But sailing a cat is going to be more fun with company! The real question is when you go sailing is it to entertain( have the Cat) or do yo want to sail/ practice/ blast of race when YOU have time. I bet you can get a Cat cheap to do both...Laser sailing is half the price . I know

sorry I miss read the post ... I had 10 friends switch from lasers to H-17 ( 1988/9) to sail/race .. It was great the first year, than one by one they dropped out , several of us still race lasers. The N17 is a machine.. good luck

I'm lucky enough to havel both a Laser radial and Paper Tiger catamaran: http://www.papertigercatamaran.org/
The Laser is great for after work, as it only takes 20 minutes to rig and hit the water. The PT takes an hour, so only bother if you've got a full day on the water.
The Laser is also great for local club racing, where most boats are similar speed. The PT leaves them at the start line and seeya later!
The Laser is also good for fleet racing, such as State Titles, Masters & Dinghy Championships.
However, the Laser is slow and hard work upwind; a real pain. The PT literally has you flying, and is so much more fun and responsive to sail. Any regatta where there are other 14' cats; I'd definitely pick the PT over Laser every time.
Both boats were relatively cheap; the PT about 1/2 price of a new Laser.

Back