laser, laser race, laser xd

Michael Warnock

I am thinking about getting a laser, but I am confused about which laser to get. The laser standard,
laser race, and laser xd have different rigs but the same sail (76 sq ft). Are each of these laser types separate classes within the laser community and only race against boats of the same rig type, or do they all race against each other in the same races? Does one of these laser rig types exceed the others in popularity? Thank you.

basically just the controls are different, they are the same hull/sail/spars/blades..

It's a bit of a marketing ploy to keep the price down for those that just want to rec. sail by offering simpler/less costly controls

Standard

The standard version
includes all the basic
gear you need to start
racing the day you buy
your boat.

Race

The Race version provides
equipment upgrades for
sailors who want to step up
their game.

XD

The XD version includes
equipment specifi ed by
some of the world’s top Laser sailors for competition
at the highest levels.

So standards race against standards, race against race, and xd vs xd? To mix these three types in the same race seems like it
would violate the basic one design rule. Thank you for any responses.

No everyone races against everyone. If you are a very good sailor perhaps you don't need xd gear and race is fine.

It's just different ways of rigging the controls. The boat, spars, sail and foils are all the same. All of them race against one another because theoretically all the fancier rigging changes is the ease of making adjustments, not the actual performance potential of the boat.

One more thing. If you get a standard laser, is it pretty easy to later on convert the boat to race and after that to xd?
apparently, there is a conversion kit for each one of these conversions. Thanks again.

Very easy simply buy a kit or the required (builder supplied) parts and you can convert.

For my money, if you are going to race, you will want the 15:1 kicker\vang immediately as it makes the boat so much easier to sail. The cunningham and outhaul upgrades are less vital (IMO).

Back