Laser II vs Laser vs Sunfish

MPP1234

I sail my Laser 2 out in Long Island Sound off a small island and there are typically other folks out and about to sail with/against. Every now and then we race around the island or some point or another. I'm sailing the Laser 2 solo (usually trapping) without a spinnaker and i'm wondering if theres any IRC or PHRF ratings between the L2, L, and Sunfish? how many minutes/mi should i be giving?

I am reading the website on the How to Use section (http://www.ussailing.org/racing/off...outh-yardstick/how-to-use-portsmouth-numbers/) and maybe I'm not reading this clearly but there's all these variables and yet there is not formula showing how they relate... like the MF. Where is that included in the formula.

edit... okay found the formula written out in one of the pages but how one calculate using Wind Handicap Factor and Modification Factor. These are not mentioned in an example formulas... I assume because it's a factor they are multiplied in somewhere but Im not sure exactly where. . . can someone please help me out?

Last edited:
The Portsmouth handicaps (US version) are easy to use.
Usually, the average windspeed number is used (D-PN), although one can get fancy because numbers for different wind speeds are listed. The D-PN numbers are:

Laser = 91.1
Laser II (with spin and trap) = 92.8
Sunfish = 99.6
The higher the number the slower the boat (the assumption is that they are sailed by equally competent sailors ;))

As a matter of practice, the finishing times are recorded, divided by the D-PN number and multiplied by 100.

As an aside, there is no Portsmouth handicap number for a Laser II that is sailed single-handed without the spinnaker. But you can make one up (talk to the PRO/RC for their agreement). How about 95?

As another aside, a Laser II often races with us (Lasers and Sunfishes) on a small lake with little wind. He doesn't trap or use a spinnaker. As long as the wind is less than 10 mph, he keeps up with the Lasers. Above that wind speed, he becomes overpowered. Just an anecdotal observation...

As an aside, there is no Portsmouth handicap number for a Laser II that is sailed single-handed without the spinnaker. But you can make one up (talk to the PRO/RC for their agreement). How about 95?

As another aside, a Laser II often races with us (Lasers and Sunfishes) on a small lake with little wind. He doesn't trap or use a spinnaker. As long as the wind is less than 10 mph, he keeps up with the Lasers. Above that wind speed, he becomes overpowered. Just an anecdotal observation...

Interesting... and THANKS for the great response! So using the modification table (Table VI) there were two Alpha codes in there that corresponded to A: Class normally with spinnaker, not equiped and, B: Solo sailing 2 person sloop under full sail. I was thinking those two factors applied would in theory account for the L2 solo w/ trap and no spinnaker but I didn't see any docs about how to apply those factors to the formula. I'm assuming from your response these adjustments are not practical/accurate for the L2.

Recently I've been doing approx 2mi sails/races around an island with variable winds, light on one side heavy and open seas on another. Generally we're talking 10-15knts of wind gusting higher sometimes on windward side and leeward side is sub 10 knts. I've found sailing in light wind, down wind, all three types boats are about equal (no traping neccessary). When we switch to any upwind and I'm out on the trap even in higher winds (10knts+) I smoke them all. . . certainly the boat is overpowered and I'm often dumping the main but generally I've found the L2 (with trap and no spin) is pretty much always faster then the orig Laser.

Now that is strange... how could a laser be faster then a Laser 2 with less surface area of hull and less sail area? Now I'm confused as to how that could be. Also I would think Soloing a small boat is clearly faster then double handed weight wise.

Back