Laser for a first boat?

CGK

Im 43 and have the sailing itch. Ive read books, magazines, and been out with friends and families on larger boats. Ive been eyeing larger boats, but I have an opportunity to borrow a Laser for the summer from a friend at work (he has 2).

My questions for the experts:

1 - is a Laser easy enough to learn on to be a good first boat?
2 - how difficult is a Laser to car top?

I have to say that the discussion and willingness to help in this forum is like none I've ever seen. Im going to have to get this boat just to participate!

Thanks all,

CGK

1, yes
2, not very, just dont drop it, 2 people make life easier(which is true with lots of things in life lol)

Yes, as long as you don't mind "teaching by capsize." It's an easy boat to right and get going again. Just adopt the attitude that you know you're going to get dunked, expect it, and you'll be fine. Also, I'd confine my first few outings to winds of less than 10 mph.

I chose the Laser Radial as my first boat and the one to learn to sail on. I do not regret my decision, as I have learned not only the principles of sailing, but doing so in a Laser has made me learn in a very unforgiving boat, which I think has made me a better sailor quicker. You're making the right decision by leaning in a Laser, and you'll have fun since it will be warmer and in summer, so getting wet won't be a hassle.

You will be fine! Just remember to have fun. Don't get to hung up on trying to go faster or tack perfectly.

Excellent! Thanks for your responses.

I have a 15 year old daughter that wants to learn as well. Its nice to have 2 to load and unload, but can the boat hold 2 people? Seems like itd be tough to tack.

CGK

Excellent! Thanks for your responses.

I have a 15 year old daughter that wants to learn as well. Its nice to have 2 to load and unload, but can the boat hold 2 people? Seems like itd be tough to tack.

CGK

Bonding by capsizing?

Seriously, this is not such a good idea unless you both like to swim together and the water is warm...

I am a veteran newbie (got a laser (first boat) 6 months ago). I had sailed a hire hobie wave a couple of times, enjoyed sailing, and saw the laser for sale in the paper. Turned out to a slightly different kettle of fish. After my 5th or 6th attempt I was on the point of flogging it thinking I just wasn't cut out for this thing. I was definitely the boat's bitch for the first few trips. Having since got the hang of hiking I now see that the laser is a fantastic boat to learn in because it teaches hard lessons! You are forced to understand every nuance of wind speed and direction boat balance and sail trim or you will take a swim. Anyway its all good fun. Just don't be put off by ending up in the water a few times.
On your second question. I have seen the local sailing club putting pairs of learners in lasers. The added weight might help but its not really got room for 2.

Also you learning experience will be greatly improved if you match the sail to the wind. I started sailing from scratch in lasers at 48 and as we have 20knot sea breezes, I started off for the first 4-5 weeks with a 4.7 rig. Then went up to radial where Ive stayed due to 70kg weight. Don't be embarassed about going out in a 4.7 rig if you can get one, just to get the feel for hiking etc. The 4.7 can still be a blast in a decent wind.

I've also taken several newbies out on my laser since then to give them an idea of what the boats like. Just get them to lie on the deck just behind the mast. Then give them control of the tiller or main sheet while you do the other control. Tacking is a bit hard so leave the vang off for more room.

Great advice, thank you. I wasnt aware that other rigs were available, worth looking in to, and that would be good for both of us.

I worry about tacking and throwing my 180# across her, so Im thinking we need two Lasers!

Thanks again.

Back