Laser fiberglass repairs / Mast Step Kit

MrZimm

I just wanted to share some info I had regarding mast step repairs. I blew my laser mast socket / step apart last fall and was deeply upset thinking that was the end. I looked around at some of the kits, and being in Ontario I went to some of the sailing shops to check out what kits they have. Well I was very disappointed in what was on the market. So I couldn't believe it but I found a place in Ontario that made them and installed them as well. So if you have a broken mast step or want a solid kit check this place out before you buy anything. The ones I found in the store had brutal instructions not to mention very flimsy design. Sure they look solid on the web but I tell you after holding one I wasn't sure this would be a proper route to take yet alone install it my self. I didn't want to cut a hole in the bottom of my boat either like some methods. So check out Diversifiedfiberglass.ca he has a mobile setup as well.

Cheers,

Z

Isnt there a better way to repair a broken mast step? The repair panel on the wesite is not exactly pleasing to the eye.:confused: R.

Have you seen what other junk is out on the market. This patch is FAR better then the ones you can get. It's a kit so it will never be perfect but at the same time it's almost flat to the deck. My friend bought on recently and had the winter to install it. It rides almost half an inch off the deck of the laser. Sure you can go in from the bottom but if you want to do something like that you are asking for way more work. I would be worried about then the mast step failing, the haul giving out on the bottom. Regardless nothing is easy. Good luck it it. Love to see what you come up with ps post some photos.

Have you seen what other junk is out on the market. This patch is FAR better then the ones you can get. It's a kit so it will never be perfect but at the same time it's almost flat to the deck. My friend bought on recently and had the winter to install it. It rides almost half an inch off the deck of the laser. Sure you can go in from the bottom but if you want to do something like that you are asking for way more work. I would be worried about then the mast step failing, the haul giving out on the bottom. Regardless nothing is easy. Good luck it it. Love to see what you come up with ps post some photos.

Cant they make a repair panel that is a bit more pleasing to the eye? I know it sounds a bit picky but, i would hate to have to fit my pride and joy with something so ugly. Is there a reason for the squared of appearance of the patch? R.

Cant they make a repair panel that is a bit more pleasing to the eye? I know it sounds a bit picky but, i would hate to have to fit my pride and joy with something so ugly. Is there a reason for the squared of appearance of the patch? R.

Ease of manufacturing. All the repair kits I know of are made in 1st world countries. Laser parts are low margin compared to other boat composites. Think about it from the manufacturers perspective. If you are good at what you do and want to spend time making high quality parts you dont pick the laser. If we want cheap parts they need to be built in places like China that are used to and willing to go the low margin high volume route.

The one sold by Laser Performance dealers looks a heck of a lot better then those....and your boat remains class legal..........

The one sold by Laser Performance dealers looks a heck of a lot better then those....and your boat remains class legal..........

Hi, do you know wher i can get details or pics of the laser repair kit? I have only seen the hideous square one, and damned if i would even consider fitting that. R.

Back