laser electrical system

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by birdhouse, Jul 28, 2012.

1. birdhouse

birdhouse New Member

so i just took apart the bow light i ordered. it has a single festoon type bulb. 12v 8w. that isn't going to work at all. WAY too high of power draw. i've got a few led type modules lying around. i figure i can fit two of them into the same fixture with a total watt draw of around 2.8w. i guarantee they will be much brighter and create less heat as well! each of the led modules i'll put in has 24 SMD leds. i've only got 12Ah, so i only want to use 5-6Ah or less with no recharge for long battery life. that means i can use ~66watts for an hour and be done if i don't have incoming (solar) power. so, the bow light alone, with mods, could run for around 15-20 hours before the battery would start stratifying, though if in emergency, the bow light could run for 24 hours at max.

adam

2. StinkBug

StinkBug New Member

I'm gonna have to agree with the masses here, and say that chopping big holes in your boat, no matter how well done is gonna severely limit resale. I know I personally would run quickly from any boat modified like this, and no I dont race. I own 2 boats, a laser and a Capri 13 which is basically a laser clone. I keep the laser as stock as possible because even though I dont race I know that I can always easily sell it to someone who does. That IS the market for lasers, not casual day sailors. And yes, the vast majority of people that sail these boats dont stay out more than a couple hours, and dont need to carry a bunch of crap with them. I sailed 25 miles the other day with nothing more than a couple water bottles and some sunscreen. When I go out with my buddy who likes to bring stuff with him he just stuffs everything in a waterproof bag and straps it to the deck.

It's your boat though, do what you like. Just know ahead of time that you will most likely have a hard time selling the boat, and even if someone does want it they will likely use the modifications as a reason to haggle you hard on the price.

3. rugger_sailor

rugger_sailor New Member

If you sail in a regatta, you will be on the water from 10:00 until 16:00 or so. Sandwiches and water stored in a fat bag plus anything else necessary for the day's race.

Just last night, we were joking about using the tiller extension (motor bike style) to drive a small inboard motor for light wind days. If you really want an engineering project, that one will get you some praise.

4. 203

203 Very Senior Member

Adam, unless you're trying to blind oncoming traffic, I'd suggest just a single LED module, something like the front end of one of these 2$ LED flashlights I see, with 9 diodes in them. They run forever on only 3v and are all kinds of bright. I don't know the exact wattage, but would assume it to be a fraction of a single watt.

5. jameshopes

jameshopes New Member

Ya it will be nice to share some pics. Looks useful information.

6. John Pomer

John Pomer New Member

Most people have trouble thinking outside the box.

Yes, you will be making drastic changes from the original design. But the boat you have is older. You also got a trailer in the deal. For the amount of money you have invested, I think you should have the right to modify it to fit YOUR requirements.

My Laser had 4 inspection ports to repair previous hull damage and the hull/cockpit seal came apart with a simple tug. I paid $800 for the Laser with a trailer then sold the trailer for $400. After separating the hull and cockpit, I removed then fiberglassed over 3 of the 4 inspection ports and reinforced the hull repair. I epoxied the hull and cockpit together for strength. Soon I will repaint the whole boat (it was painted once already after its first repair).

Ultimately, the boat has to be something YOU want to use in a way that suits your needs. Experimenting on an older boat is not a bad thing to do. It can bring new insights in many ways. I like your idea of running lights for those late evening cruises.

People need to remember, not everyone races. It is an older boat. As the older boats are removed from the market, the value of the others can increase. But I think that you will have a lot of fun with your modified Laser. That is all that matters!

7. racinglasers

racinglasers Member

OK so I'll confess I sold my first Laser 1895 to a guy who asked if an outboard motor bracket could be installed on the transom .......... I just gulped and said ....... sure ......!

8. John Pomer

John Pomer New Member

Freedom of Choice! Got to love it. Who knows what the individual needed to solve a problem!

My '78 Laser (hull number 64701) is being restored to functional use. I know it will never be a racer again, but I enjoyed learning how it was constructed when I separated the hull and decking. The boat is now solid and is a good learning boat for me. I expect to get a new one in a couple years and pass this one down to the younger generation in the family. In the meantime I don't worry about dings and scratches and things that go bump.

I wonder what size outboard that guy decided to put on the Laser. Bet it was FAST!

9. todd bleifuss

todd bleifuss New Member

A friend's brother uses old laser hulls to make duck boats for the Chesapeake and puts a small motor on them, as well as gutting them so you can lie down in it...you could make a miniature PT boat replica maybe, lol. Then use the jetskiers for a dynamic slalom course.

Sorry that was rude of me.

10. John Pomer

John Pomer New Member

... maybe, but funny!

11. birdhouse

birdhouse New Member

well, i've officially murdered the boat. it is no longer legal to race!

the original construction of lasers is interesting. from the deck down, it's fiberglass, foam, then fiberglass. it looks to be made from polyester resin as well, but not sure on that one. all of my modifications have been done with west sytems epoxy. i LOVE that stuff!

i've been taking pictures of the whole thing and will post them when the project is completed. so far, the hole for the main hatch has been cut about three inches behind the mast. the hatch is 10" x 28". i wanted it big enough to easily get tents/sleeping bags in and out. the front bulkhead(s) are done, but not yet fitted to the boat. it's a two piece bulkhead that fits along side the mast pocket. this should make the mast pocket much stronger! they fit almost perfectly within the hull, 1/8" gap at the most.

the rear bulkhead is going to sit just in front of the center board "sleeve"?? i just added some additional fiberglass layers to it tonight. it fits pretty darn good, but is going to need a bit of trimming to make it fit perfect.

i'm using 3/4" PVC pipe that i've ripped in half on the table saw to lay on the bottom of the hull to let any internal water travel from front to back of the boat. i'll fiberglass over that as well.

the bow light has been installed and wiring run to the waterproofed area. i've yet to retrofit an led module into it, but i'm thinking just one module will do it.

i'm in a rush as i want to sail this weekend, so hopefully the project will be mostly complete by the weekend.

adam

12. Slipstream

Slipstream Member

Can't wait! :)

13. rugger_sailor

rugger_sailor New Member

Hey Adam! No pictures or it didn't happen. What's the status on your project?

14. Ian R

Ian R New Member

This is killing me, let's see it!