Laser Compass?

laser11

Hi,

I have never raced a laser before but I was wondering if people find compasses useful? I already have deck holes for the deck plate.

I don't really want to take out my cunningham and outhaul deck plates, so I was wondering if there is any compass mount without the need for that.

Thanks

I find the compass extremely useful, but the real trick is learning not to look at it except on the days it's required. That may sound strange, but it's easy to become fixed on the compass and miss what's happing on the water, so you need to learn to ignore it except when it is actually required, for me that means training and racing always with the compass there.

Most people in Australia use a compass plate the fits over the top of the cleats / pulleys and is held in place by the outhaul & cunningham lines. A simple aluminium plate is all that's required, although someone has started to distribute carbon fibre ones.

Attachments

• Laser Compass 2.jpg
    Laser Compass 2.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 111
  • Rigging 1.jpg
    Rigging 1.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 113
Hi,

I have never raced a laser before but I was wondering if people find compasses useful? I already have deck holes for the deck plate.

If you have NEVER raced a Laser, you don't need a compass. Learn to sail the boat (fast) first; once you are competitive, consider a compass for racing on open water.

Well, I have never raced a laser in competitive regatta's, although I have raced other boats, and have sailed a laser for quite about 7 years.

Do you know if you have to take off the outhaul and cunningham cleats in order to attach the spider compass mount?

thanks

All those pictured and also the Spider Compass are designed to be put on each day you sail. The hull fittings locate the plate and the control lines prevent it from falling off.

I do disagree with using it only in open waters, they are useful in enclosed waters as well, particularly when it's narrow.

Back