Just got my first Capri 14.2 and checking in

cage47

Picked up my Capri 14.2 a little over a month ago. Got it cheap because the p.o. got blindsided by a rogue gale and damaged the rudder. Most of the hardware is ok but the pintle is a twisted mess. After looking here found CatalinaDirect has them. Better than replacing the WHOLE rudder. Since this is a step up from the sunfish I used to run it'll be an experience. Really looking forward to getting back out on the water and not having to plug coin down on gas everytime I want to go out. But really thinking I'm going to pick up one of those mast floats in case of a capsize.

I was thinking of just hammering the heck out of the pintle and getting it back in shape myself. This wouldn't be an issue but I'm worried about the weld on the top spike, that took the worst of the twisting. I'm afraid it is already too weak to handle regular use so just gonna play it safe and get a new one. I'll try to get a picture up later to show it as it sits now.

Congrats on the new-to-you boat.
Is the rudder cheek a stainless or aluminum affair?
Cut it off, beat to fit, have it re-welded.

Its stainless. It's solid. Just that one weld is worrisome. And since I can get the whole bracket/pintle for $65 I figure that's the easier/safer option. Though I do have to reattach the tiller extension, but that I can rig myself. Other than that it looks good. Oh and have to fix one of the trailer lights. It was sitting in a cow field and the wires got ripped off the passenger side light. That's not a biggie for me either. Was going to pull everything out and give the sails an airing this weekend but weather looks gloomy so might wait til next weekend.

Back